Is one of my injs bad?? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by strokersmoker20, this thread has received 11 replies and been viewed 783 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Is one of my injs bad??

I jus recently put in 100hp injs in the truck and right after I got i noticed a different sound from the engine when I wasn't going very fast (like in traffic just taking off or driving to the next light). Its not real noticable at idle but just when im light on the throttle. Does this defferent sound mean one of my inj are sticking/dirty/or bad?:shrug:

P.S. I cant really describe the sound, I wanted to to say more chattery but i don't know if that makes sense..oh and the injs were used
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 09:34 PM
Bouncer

Injectors can change the sound of the motor due to different fueling levels than what you are used to at a given RPM. EDM injectors can make a 24v quiet down at idle and sound like a 12v. The spray pattern has a lot do with it also.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thats what I thought it was but then someone told me that they weren't supposed to change the sound...thanks!
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 10:01 PM
Destroked

Bill, the sound difference is in the exhaust though. It has a fluttery sound when he is accelerating and it puffs black smoke when it does it. To me it doesnt sound right. Ive heard many dodges with injectors and delivery valve changes and it just seems like its missing on a cylinder. I understand the overall engine noise can change but the exhaust should still be a smooth tone instead of a choppy one.

'04.5 Chevy 2500HD LLY,Alli, CC, SB, 4x4, Sleeved, Braced, FASS, 4" SS Silverline exh, EGR Blocker, all thanks to MA, EFI Live tuning by me with Edge CTS switching DSP5 tunes, 68mm Danville turbo, ARP Studs with "C" gaskets, Transgo Jr., 20x9 Diamo Karat 8's wrapped in Terra Grapplers, Superlift AAL in rear, Ride Rite Air Bags, some stainless........yeah it shines.

2002 VW Jetta GLS TDI, auto, 18x8 ASA AR3 wheels with Goodyear Eagle GT's
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 10:06 PM
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel dan
Bill, the sound difference is in the exhaust though. It has a fluttery sound when he is accelerating and it puffs black smoke when it does it.
Well, now that's makes it a little different story.

Did the injectors come from a reputible place, where they bought used, what's the deal on them?

Could be the pop is off on one of them or they could have uncovered a problem with a delivery valve or plunger in the pump since they are letting more fuel flow.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

The smoke is sometimes inconsistent, Danny what do you think it is then?..I hope the inj is not bad ill be issed:
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 10:11 PM
Destroked

Like Bill said, it could be the pop off either acting to fast or not fast enough spraying the injector out of time. For curiosity, run some injector cleaner through it (Lucas, Stanadyne, etc.) too see if it gets better. It sure wouldnt hurt to try.

'04.5 Chevy 2500HD LLY,Alli, CC, SB, 4x4, Sleeved, Braced, FASS, 4" SS Silverline exh, EGR Blocker, all thanks to MA, EFI Live tuning by me with Edge CTS switching DSP5 tunes, 68mm Danville turbo, ARP Studs with "C" gaskets, Transgo Jr., 20x9 Diamo Karat 8's wrapped in Terra Grapplers, Superlift AAL in rear, Ride Rite Air Bags, some stainless........yeah it shines.

2002 VW Jetta GLS TDI, auto, 18x8 ASA AR3 wheels with Goodyear Eagle GT's
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I bought them used from a guy on here and the said they were totally fine and that he bought a CR so he was selling them since he didnt need them anymore. So I took his word for it I guess that whre I probably went wrong
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 10:57 PM
Bouncer

Like Dan said, run some cleaner through them and give it a little bit. Could have been a little gummed up from sitting. Start with the easiest and least expensive, then move on from there.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 11:13 PM

I'd check to make sure you have the cross over tubes seated good too. could be you have one not quite seated or nicked it during the install and its not seating now. this would cause the fuel to leak into the return galley in the head instead of the full amount being injected.

Did you use new sealing washers too? ON EDIT: You did make sure you got all six of them (sealing washers) back out with the old injectors too right? the thickness of the sealing washers changes the spray pattern of the injectors. little is ever talked about on that topic but its an important item for performance tuning.

Its hard to describe this but before you tighten the hold down strap on each injector wiggle the crossover tube to make sure it sits in the middle of the hole. Also you may need to twist the injector to get it seated good on the tube too. Then tighten the hold down and move to the next one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode