Exhaust Question - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by drummerboydw, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 859 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Exhaust Question

I have an 01 Dodge. No Mods yet. I did straight pipe the exhaust. It sound good although it seems to resonate too much for me.. I was thinking of going to 4" or 5 " to see if that would help. What are the advantages of 4 versus 5 and will it make much differance in sound since it will still be a straight pipe. Thanks for all the advice....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 10:30 PM

It should help quite a bit. I straight piped my 12v and the drone was real bad. When I switched to 4inch, that went away. Personally I think the 5inch drones a little more than the 4inch, but it sounds so much sicker that it is worth it. I have a 4inch on my 2000 right now, but I'm getting a 5inch in the near future. I have a friend with a 5inch straight on an 01 and that thing is wicked. It sounds like a peterbuilt whereas mine just sounds like a diesel on steriods.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 11:24 PM

As far as better performance from 4" or 5" you wouldnt feel it or detect it on a graph. 4" straight piped still drones where as 5" really has none. Personally I like the sound of 4" but the lack of droning on 5" is nice too.

I have 5" straight pipe on my 01 right now FWIW
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 10:53 PM

Well I can say like everone else 5 in. is the way to go. I had 4in. on mine before and like it, but I had found a really awesome deal on some 5in. And I will never go any smaller The sound is out of this world and pisses a bunch of people off and also is not car alarm friendly :evil: !!!!

99 Dodge Ram 2500, edge drag comp stacked with mads smarty, Hi tech 64 turbo, nx nitrous, AFE brute force, FASS 150 fuel system, mach 4 injectors, suncoast billet tranny, autometer gauges, 5" straight pipe , 6" tip.

Boys and their DIESEL toys!
And their NEVER fast enough!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 02:39 AM

i'm looking into the same thing...what about stacks? any advantages/disadvantages to a regular 5inch exhaust?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbs031
i'm looking into the same thing...what about stacks? any advantages/disadvantages to a regular 5inch exhaust?
Well, really the advantages to disadvantages are really up to you. Looks wise I think stacks really stand out and you don't blow smoke all over the side of someones car or truck, people get pretty upset about it : but they will get over it. I like the pipe run out the back for that reason, so all those ricer punks or the others that think that a big o' diesel can't race get a little something extra for the effort when I just leave them behind :Insane:

99 Dodge Ram 2500, edge drag comp stacked with mads smarty, Hi tech 64 turbo, nx nitrous, AFE brute force, FASS 150 fuel system, mach 4 injectors, suncoast billet tranny, autometer gauges, 5" straight pipe , 6" tip.

Boys and their DIESEL toys!
And their NEVER fast enough!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstockton
It should help quite a bit. I straight piped my 12v and the drone was real bad. When I switched to 4inch, that went away. Personally I think the 5inch drones a little more than the 4inch, but it sounds so much sicker that it is worth it. I have a 4inch on my 2000 right now, but I'm getting a 5inch in the near future. I have a friend with a 5inch straight on an 01 and that thing is wicked. It sounds like a peterbuilt whereas mine just sounds like a diesel on steriods.
Sean

I got an MBRP cool duals 4 inch turbo back. I bought the muffler delete kit. It souds so sick cause once it turns into duals there isn't as much pressure at all so it sounds awsome.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 01:49 AM
Official TDG Doctor

I got mine and I really like it! its a lot louder drone then I thought it would be and I havnt even sp'd it yet! for 340 shipped SS it was WAY worth it!

Nathaniel

Kickin' It At The Passing Lane
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbs031
I think stacks look silly, but they are a legal advantage if your turbo blows up passing a car.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode