White Smoke - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by StrokeThisGoat, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 1239 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

White Smoke

Well looks like i played a little hard the other day..... i was beating this 06 cummins and i may of stayed on it a little long or somthing. I have the juice with attitude and it defuels when temps get to 1280... but anyways after i stopped i noticed in his headlights that my truck was pouring out smoke. He is a diesel mechanic and after we talked for a while we decided that it may be seals around the turbo bearings. My truck is the 02 auto with the 9cm exhaust housing and i was wondering if the back pressure got too high and forced a seal out of place. I prolly didn't race for more than 30 seconds and i didn't build more than 32 pounds of boost. o yea and the next morning it didn't blow any white smoke and it hasn't blown any up untill today when i got off of the freeway after driveing the speed limit. It doesn't idle rough or loose power, it just blows an excessive amount of white smoke. I was just wondering what anyone else had to say and if anyone had a good turbo suggestion.
Thanks a bunch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 06:21 AM

White smoke is generally unburned fuel, heavy white smoke may be oil, but oil is usually blue smoke, and black smoke is fuel burning in the exhaust. To me that sounds like unburned fuel, which you usually don't see unless the truck is cold. It isn't idling rough at all. Have you checked your injector lines? My 12valve popped an injector line once and the number two cylinder wasn't getting hot enough and just dumping fuel down the exhaust and that made it smoke white. But that made the truck idle extremely rough. it could be a damaged injector line, or a stuck injector. Those are just a couple other thoughts.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 11:35 AM
TDG Mafia Member #21

:shrug: I hope you figure it out. I'm afraid I can't help on this one but let us know when you figure it out.

This is just a guess, if it smoked when you got off the fuel for the exit ramp could the turbo have built some backpressure and that caused the oil to leak around the turbo seal but the leak isn't bad enough yet to leak all the time? It needs a little backpressure or heavy boost to force the oil past the failing seal?
I am NOT a turbo guy so this is pure conjecture.

2007 F350 CC 4x4, EGR delete, stock for now

Old truck :"01" Dodge 3500 DRW. Goerend Bros w/ triple disk, Edge Drag Comp, Jammer Stage 5's, Turnbuckle, Dakota Digital and ISSPRO Gauges, BHAF,4" FLO-PRO exhaust, Vulcan kit, Holley Blue Pump, TC Lockup Switch, Snow stage 2, a few more little bits in the works

377hp and 823tq @ Smokin' (with stage 3's/no drag upgrade)
"400" club wannabe
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

well this smoke is the heavy blue oil smoke, thats why i think it may be a seal on the turbo..... but i don't
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 02:28 PM

normaly.....when comming out the exhaust ........white smoke is water, blue is oil, and i hope everyone on this site knows black smoke is unburned fuel. fuel or oil can be white smoke when its a vapor but not yet ignited, like a fuel leak onto ur engine or exhaust.
but there was one time i cracked the cases on my 4wheeler and all the oil leaked out while i was ridding and it was pouring white smoke when it came to a stop, it was air cooled. i cant explain this one. thats why i said normally

1998.5 24v QUAD CAB 4X4 CUMMINS 5spd , DRAG COMP, , FASS 150, , ATS 4", INTAKE, 150 jammers, clutch, guages
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 07:16 PM

yeah, any partially burned fluid can be white, you are right, oil is usually the bluish color unless burned in a very heavy consentration and then it isn't completely burned. Now that you say you're having bluish I'm much more inclined to say it is oil, possibly coming from your turbo, I don't know, that is probably the most likely scenario. Rings damage will usually occur when cold not hot.
One thought, When oil is cold it is thicker and therefore can't pass through a sightly damaged seal, but once it is warmer, and back pressure is relieved from the seal, it is able to seep through. Thats a thought, but like others have said, I can't be sure of that. Good luck, and take this one to someone reputable that you trust.
Sean

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

yea the more i think about it the more i think that the oil is seeping on the exhaust side..... mostly because i feel that if it were going throught the motor in a small amount it would burn with the diesel and not smoke like it is. So my plan is still to replace my turbo for a better one ( that 9cm exhaust houseing is stupid) so the next question is what kind of turbo have yall tried. I have looked at indutrial injection's 35/40 hybrid because of it's price but i really would want an edge bb because of the ceramic bearings... what do yall think? Thanks
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 11:25 PM

with your current set up, I would look at an HTT superstock 62/14 which should work great for you, even if you add some fuel. If you plan on running a big injector 150hp or so, look at an HTT quick diesel 64/14. Both are supposed to be great turbos. 35/40 hybrids don't really allow you much room for more fuel.
Sean

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 12:00 AM

I am very pleased with the edge jammer turbo. There is vitually no turbo lag, and because of that the acceleration through the RPM range is awesome. Also it looks great! I think they a good price for the looks and for its performance. :Thumbup:

99 Dodge Ram 2500, edge drag comp stacked with mads smarty, Hi tech 64 turbo, nx nitrous, AFE brute force, FASS 150 fuel system, mach 4 injectors, suncoast billet tranny, autometer gauges, 5" straight pipe , 6" tip.

Boys and their DIESEL toys!
And their NEVER fast enough!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode