AFE Intake - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by drummerboydw, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 905 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

AFE Intake

Is it really worth the money to even make this upgrade? If so several people have told me not to waste my money on the stage 2 but just to get the stage 1. Just wanted some feedback from you all. Thanks for all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 11:49 AM
TDG Mafia Member #21

BHAF $32. It is hard to beat that price. There are probably as many opinions out there as there are intakes. Some hate K&N. Some love it. Some hate AFE and some love it. I see it as any aftermarket intake will improve airflow over stock and for "most" people one is as good as the other for increased air. I personally have concerns with any open weave filter because I drive on dirt roads alot. They may work great for others. Think of where and how you drive and base your decision on that coupled with the amount of money you have to spend. All will help. Some just do it a little cheaper and some do it a little better.

p.s. If you fill out your signature block it will help us help you.

2007 F350 CC 4x4, EGR delete, stock for now

Old truck :"01" Dodge 3500 DRW. Goerend Bros w/ triple disk, Edge Drag Comp, Jammer Stage 5's, Turnbuckle, Dakota Digital and ISSPRO Gauges, BHAF,4" FLO-PRO exhaust, Vulcan kit, Holley Blue Pump, TC Lockup Switch, Snow stage 2, a few more little bits in the works

377hp and 823tq @ Smokin' (with stage 3's/no drag upgrade)
"400" club wannabe
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 02:04 PM
Bouncer

I have the old style AFE set-up from about 3 years ago and it is not even a Pro Guard filter as they were not out yet. I bought mine off Ebay at the time and got the complete intake plus 2 recharge kits for $165, so I got it. I have been completely 100% pleased with mine. I drive on a lot of gravel roads and have no problems with dust getting past my filter. I also bought a Outerwears pre-filter to put over it and that helps tremendously, plus it is waterproof just in case.

I had a BHAF on my old 1st Gen and was pleased with it. So I can not say one is better than the other. I do think the AFE does flow just a little better than the BHAF though. Is it enough to jutify the difference in price now days, I don't know. If I didn't get a deal on my AFE I would be running a BHAF.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 02:22 PM

drummerboydw,

Yes and no, depends on you and how hot you plan to make the truck. The Stage II gets you a much larger filter which gets you more flow, do you need it, depends on the mods you have or plan to add. It has a larger steel air box, the 5.5 inch intake tube all the way to the turbo etc etc. It does flow more, but again if you plan medium mods a Stage I will do what you need. Plan to add sticks and turbo and maybe stacking boxes, go for the Stage II! Lots of our cutsomers get the STage II in PG7 so they don't have to add a sock and the slight restriction the PG7 has over the standard filter is offset by the Stage II's larger filter and intake tube vs a Stage I, just an idea. By the way we have a sale on them either way you plan to go.

Mark @ DPPI
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 06:33 PM

We put a stage 1 on an 01 making over 500hp on fuel and that did just fine. On my truck I run a K&N. The BHAF works great too. IMO unless you are going for all out everything, you don't need it. And if you run twins the box won't always fit and the intake tube definitely won't so its no good anyways.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 12:49 AM

if youre worried about filtering look at AEM. they filter really good.look at their website. ya i know its a ricer brand but it works, just dont get a supersized sticker and put across your windshield!

1998.5 24v QUAD CAB 4X4 CUMMINS 5spd , DRAG COMP, , FASS 150, , ATS 4", INTAKE, 150 jammers, clutch, guages
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 01:39 AM

A problem with the BHAF is that if the paper filter gets wet, the filter is toast. however, on a cold air intake such as the AFE stage 1 it comes with a shield to protect it from the elements and also a water resistant prefilter can be added to prevent water from passing through the actual filter. It is possible in a heavy rainstorm for the BHAF to become damp and not perform as well and possibly damage the filter perminately. We put a AFE progard 7 on a 1996 dodge with a turned up pump a plate and exhaust system, not only did it drop idleing temps 100 degrees and 250 degrees in the floor, but it also prevented the vaccum meter from sucking down. definately a benifit
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 07:46 PM
TDG Mafia Member #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYZILLA383
if youre worried about filtering look at AEM. they filter really good.look at their website. ya i know its a ricer brand but it works, just dont get a supersized sticker and put across your windshield!
What?! Don't you know those stickers add another 20hp? They give you almost as much power gain as a whale tail.

2007 F350 CC 4x4, EGR delete, stock for now

Old truck :"01" Dodge 3500 DRW. Goerend Bros w/ triple disk, Edge Drag Comp, Jammer Stage 5's, Turnbuckle, Dakota Digital and ISSPRO Gauges, BHAF,4" FLO-PRO exhaust, Vulcan kit, Holley Blue Pump, TC Lockup Switch, Snow stage 2, a few more little bits in the works

377hp and 823tq @ Smokin' (with stage 3's/no drag upgrade)
"400" club wannabe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode