pulling truck advice & ideas - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by duramaxforsnax, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 603 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

pulling truck advice & ideas

Ive got an idea about a pulling truck some may think im crazy. well here it is im wondering if i could rig up a way to put a allison atomatic tranny just like in the duraCRAPs on the back of a 95 12v and then put the ats co-pilot and just beef the engine up dont know but what u think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 04:54 PM
Bouncer

My first question has to be why? You could spend less money and put a bullet proof Dodge auto tranny behind it and not have to fab anything or work the bugs out. Also Billet shafts are not out yet for the Allison and when they come out the rebuild is going to be even more.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2006, 08:23 PM

Yeah I've got to agree with bouncer. That allison has so much electrical stuff going on it would be a nightmare and then once that is sorted out, it won't handle what the 12v can throw at it. I would look into a built transmission from Anywhere else, DTT, NADP, Goerend, Suncoast. Those four make really solid transmissions IMO. And they will build it to what you need for a lot less headache. I know DTT even offers a manual shift Valve Body if selectability is what you are looking for.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

the reason why i chose the allison is i can get the copilot and when i go dowen the track it will shift up then when it boggs down it will shift down can u kinda see what i mean thats what i kinda figured out that at the pulls I dont know that why im asking because the chevys are dominatin the dodges and fords really bad in southern part of ohio in the superstreet class

Any more advice what do u guys think GIIVVE ME MORe
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 07:21 PM

I live in central indiana and we have a couple great dodge shops arund here Schied and Haisley and there are no chevys that beat up on the dodges around here. IMO I would just go wiht a built tranny from anyone of the places sstockton suggested. I know that Goerend Bros has a manual vb and Haisleys make there own manual vb. I 12v with the right touches will fly past (or I should say pull) any truck. The advantage all the chevys have are the programmers and downloaders they offer the duramax. You can get insane hp from the duramax downloaders but the cummins CR is slowly getting more of these insane programs which IMO if i had a lot of money to build a puller id go with a CR..that just my $.02
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 07:35 PM
IS FREE!!!!!

Send a message via AIM to 6Lcummins Send a message via MSN to 6Lcummins Send a message via Yahoo to 6Lcummins
If ur lookin at pullin a sled, dont go auto, there is a reason Scheid and Haisley Run manuals. get a 4500 and put behind it, and get a dual disc clutch. if ur realyl goin all out, Pro Fab tranny, transfer case, and clutch. if ur goin for strip then auto would be the way to go. the reason i like the manual for pullin is u get 10% more power and torque to the wheels. plus, a clutch is cheaper to replace than a whole tranny.

12.56 @ 102 MPH Ennis Texas 4/10/10
11.55 @ 117 MPH Cedar Falls Iowa 5/22/10
1968 Cummins Corvette
All hard parts provided by Low Budget Diesel Performance and our sponsors Hamilton Cams, Pureflow Technologies, and PowerFlow Exhaust
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6LCummins
If ur lookin at pullin a sled, dont go auto, there is a reason Scheid and Haisley Run manuals.
:agreed: yeah all the top trucks I'm aware of are running manuals.

ATS does make a co-pilot for the 47RE and 48RE as well, so you might want to consider that option as well. I don't know if it is different than the co-pilot for the DMAX but in the description neither mentioned anything about shifting underload. I'd imagine that that is just based on T/C lock up speed and load. Call ATS and see what they say if you haven't already.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 12:42 AM

What are you looking to do duramaxforsnax? If your looking to stay in a work stock or a street stock class an auto is fine just make sure u got a good TC, manual VB and I'd go with a billet input, and billet kickdown lever and you should be fine but if you looking to into super street then def go with a manual preferably like what 6LCummins said a pro fab set-up.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

all good points but i also been thinking about making my 98 24v a pulling truck and its even a 5spd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode