Rebuild Tranny On My Own or NEW???? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by hic316, this thread has received 8 replies and been viewed 637 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Rebuild Tranny On My Own or NEW????

The dilemma, sooner or later I am going to need a new tranny, I thinking about rebuilding a core that I can get from my friend or buying a new one from either TCS, Suncoast, etc...

It definitely would be cheaper to rebuild it on my own, even though I have never done it, I have some people that will definitely help out, if I go this route what kits would be best, and what components?

Has anyone done it before, if so what problems did you encounter.

Then the other route just to go buy a new one.

I am eventually looking to make roughly 400 hp with my truck, it is a daily driver, so I don't need a ballz out tranny, just able to hold up to that # and maybe a little more.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 12:49 AM

Just buy a new built one, Call Dave Goerend he makes a mean tranny for a reasonable price i think about 3000 for the tranny and a triple disk convertor. Compared to about 5k or 6k for a built tranny from Suncoast or DTT.

-Charley, 1995 Nissan hardbody, single cab,2.4 i-4, 5spd, straight piped - 4.5in tip, 2x Rockford Fosgate R1's

Quote:
"I Caught that diesel thing, now it stings when I pee"
The Diesel Garage.com
Can You Keep Up??
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 12:49 AM

I've done it before, I would recommend letting the pros do it.
Q: WHY?

A: Because they got they can build a stock trany better than stock. Simply scratching the valvebody in the wrong place or putting something in the wrong place could have you taking out you rebuilding your tranny again. If you break something and/or lose something when rebuilding it, it might take you days before you get that part vs. the pros who have parts laying all over the place.

Q: If I do, do it myself what do I need to worry about?

A: The 800lb overdrive spring has a tendency to kill people if they don't use a press.

Q: What do I need to do to get it to hold 400 HP?

A: Granted your hard parts are all still good, which they probably aren't. A aftermarket v/b and t/c. Or build your own valvebody with a aftermarket t/c.

Q: What are common problems I could run into?

A: Cheap rebuild t/c have a history of binding. Make sure you buy a t/c with a good name behind it. I highly recommend a t/c with a lower stall.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 03:14 AM

The price on a DTT to handle that kind of power is roughly 3600 dollars. That will be a trans that has no billet either. 400hp, and you may want to start looking at a billet input shaft. If you plan on racing the truck at all with that kind of power, you will definitely need a billet input shaft and probably an output. Suncoast isn't my first choice because they are a little more pricey and on top of that the price doesn't include a t/c which from them will run you another 1200. NADP makes a really solid transmission at a decent price and the shipping isn't too bad from them either.

Definitely have to agree with the other guys though, if you aren't experienced in building transmissions, you are opening a huge can of worms, this isn't a TH700 here.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 03:22 AM
Bouncer

I would buy an aftermarket and get it built as much as you can afford. Unless you can afford to be out the money if something goes wrong that you built yourself.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 04:11 AM

If I could do it all over again, I would have let someone else do it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I figured this would be the answers I would get, Right now it is hard to drop all that money in one shot on a tranny, when I can rebuild it over a month, spread the cost out a little, and do it cheaper

On the downside if something happens to it, and it was built by the pros I can send it back under warranty, where as myself, i am screwed.

I heard about Goerend, but not NADP
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 01:36 PM
fordt

IMO have them rebuild the tranny you have, I have always been leary of getting someone else core that has been rebuilt. With your sore you know the condition it is in.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordt
IMO have them rebuild the tranny you have, I have always been leary of getting someone else core that has been rebuilt. With your sore you know the condition it is in.
'

I see where your coming from. But as my tranny as a example as I was getting closer to my deadline, I found I had hard parts that need replaced and would have to be ordered. So I ended up having to put them back in. STUPID ME but I really didn't have a choice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode