Thread help - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by ThorsF350, this thread has received 5 replies and been viewed 908 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Thread help

Hey guys whats up? I have been looking at a couple of 2500 5 speed 24v Cummins and I would like to be able to tell what the heck i am looking at. Any advice on weak points to look for. I know there is a thread like this somewhere in here but i am on a time crunch so if you could link me to it or add here thanks.

Steven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 10:18 PM
TDG Mafia Member #21

Check the fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the injection pump before you buy. A manual gauge with a long hose is perfect for the job. It hooks up quick and you can read it while driving. Also, turn the ign key on then off 3 times quickly without actually starting the truck and look in the odometer window for any codes to show. p-done will show when the scan is done.

2007 F350 CC 4x4, EGR delete, stock for now

Old truck :"01" Dodge 3500 DRW. Goerend Bros w/ triple disk, Edge Drag Comp, Jammer Stage 5's, Turnbuckle, Dakota Digital and ISSPRO Gauges, BHAF,4" FLO-PRO exhaust, Vulcan kit, Holley Blue Pump, TC Lockup Switch, Snow stage 2, a few more little bits in the works

377hp and 823tq @ Smokin' (with stage 3's/no drag upgrade)
"400" club wannabe
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

cool thanks the one that i really like already has a pressure guage in the cab what should it read? it has stainless fuel lines and its a spin fuel filter. any way to see if it has been programmed? it has some mods already done. they told me that it has a southbend clutch anyway to visually inspect it. they're asking 12k for it and i think i am gonna go ahead and snatch it up. The only thing that worrys me is that the motor has been apart.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 11:13 AM
TDG Mafia Member #21

The fuel pressure should stay above 5 psi at WOT and idle at about 12-15 psi minimum to be safe. If it has a spin on fuel filter on the frame rail it is probably a FASS system or similar which is good. Now the big question is "Why was it apart?" Did they install fire rings? Or did they melt a piston? What did they tell you?

2007 F350 CC 4x4, EGR delete, stock for now

Old truck :"01" Dodge 3500 DRW. Goerend Bros w/ triple disk, Edge Drag Comp, Jammer Stage 5's, Turnbuckle, Dakota Digital and ISSPRO Gauges, BHAF,4" FLO-PRO exhaust, Vulcan kit, Holley Blue Pump, TC Lockup Switch, Snow stage 2, a few more little bits in the works

377hp and 823tq @ Smokin' (with stage 3's/no drag upgrade)
"400" club wannabe
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2006, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

the fuel pressure is at 19psi at idle and 8 at wot they cant tell me what happened because the truck has passed thru multiple hands. he tells me that the motor has been apart for a rebuild and as far as i can tell it has been completely apart. the motor it tight and after a test drive today all i can say is wow. that truck makes some power. no slippage from the clutch no grind in the tranny, everything was like butter. felt better than a new truck when driven. i am going to buy this one and hope that it hold together. thanks for all the input. ill get some pics today and post'em.

thanks again

steven
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 11:17 PM
Bouncer

Sounds to me like you have found a pretty good truck. Hope all works out for you and ask away if we can be of anymore help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode