question on the new ULSD - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by imported_duck, this thread has received 10 replies and been viewed 719 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

question on the new ULSD

I am having to run the the new diesel in my 01 cummins and was wondering if it would hurt my VP pump. Also I have read some were that guys are putting 2-stroke oil into thier fuel tanks! Is this a good idea for lubricating the system or is it a bad idea?:shrug:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 11:22 PM
TDG Mafia Member #21

Why not get some power service just to be on the safe side. That is what I add when I am not running bio. I don't know about 2 cycle. I wouldn't think it would hurt but I would wonder if it lubricates enough.

2007 F350 CC 4x4, EGR delete, stock for now

Old truck :"01" Dodge 3500 DRW. Goerend Bros w/ triple disk, Edge Drag Comp, Jammer Stage 5's, Turnbuckle, Dakota Digital and ISSPRO Gauges, BHAF,4" FLO-PRO exhaust, Vulcan kit, Holley Blue Pump, TC Lockup Switch, Snow stage 2, a few more little bits in the works

377hp and 823tq @ Smokin' (with stage 3's/no drag upgrade)
"400" club wannabe
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 01:11 AM

Its likely that it will do harm to your vp. I think in the not too distant future if not already there will be additives in the fuel from the manufacturer that will aid in lubricity. two cycle will lube enough though, I've heard of some guys adding a touch of used motor oil when running Jet A because jet A doesn't lub nearly as well as diesel.

on edit: I run stanadyne performance additive
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 11:51 PM

I would run a diesel additive rather then 2 cycle. The additives are designed for use in diesel. I run power service, the white bottle. It is cheap and you can get it at wal-mart. But anything is better then nothing.

'01 xcab 4x4,Suncoast by Mike L. Goerend triple, edge III, AFE stage II, HTT 62/12, FASS, and other stuff
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 02:44 AM

I have about 300 iles on my first tank of the stuff, I too used the white bottle power service. I have noticed a difference in the engine, more rattle almost, and a huge loss in fuel mileage. Let's just say, since I can still get the old stuff around a few places near me, I will be going bakc to it

Cory
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 03:04 AM

I don't know, my VP44 was going out until I started running the ULSD Fuel. I was freaked out like you guys though and started using a additive. Marvel Mystery Oil................ I don't know what gives here but I was days away from taking it into the shop. Now have put on a few thousand miles since then with no signs of it going out. So either Marvel Mystery Oil or the ULSD was my savor.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 03:17 AM

I halfway think my extra rattle noise is just my brain playing tricks on me cause I am nervous about the stuff, but the mileage drop I am sure of
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 03:45 AM

I haven't encountered it yet. Or at least not that I'm aware of. I've heard that they have to put a sticker on the pumps and I haven't come across one yet. But I run the Stanadyne performance/lubrication additive just to be safe anyways.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 12:38 PM
TDG Mafia 36

Send a message via Yahoo to Diesel Fanatic
As far as I knew, it was supposed to be manditory on Oct 1st for all stations to have the new fuel, but maybe thats only a Utah thing, I don't know:shrug:

Brandon AKA bcumminsmeck
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 02:29 PM
Bouncer

I have said it in several other post on here and I will say it in this one.

Stations are not required to sell the new ULSD until 2010 when the oil companies are no longer allowed to produce LSD. Although if the station switches to ULSD they can not switch back to LSD and then back to ULSD again without digging up the tanks and replacing them or having them certified by a tank cleaning company. If you pull up to a diesel pump and it DOES NOT have a sticker on it saying that it can not be used in 07' model and newer vehicles then IT IS ULSD. If you pull up to a pump and IT DOES have a sticker on it warning you not to use it in 07' model year and newer vehicles, then IT IS the good LSD stuff.

I have ran two tanks of the ULSD because I had no choice on where I was at. I never really noticed any perfromance loss, but I did notice a 2 mpg drop on my mileage with both tanks and the smoke was more gray than black.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode