lift pump? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by weebz90, this thread has received 19 replies and been viewed 1304 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

lift pump?

im new to the scene but ive studying diesels for a while but what is a lift pump and what does it do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 05:43 AM

The lift pump pulls fuel out of the tank and feeds it at positive pressure to the injection pump. On your truck, LP failures are very common and usually result in Injection (IP) failure as well.

New? Welcome. Now go and get yourself a Fuel Pressure gauge so you can keep tas on your LP. Even under stock power they fail like crazy.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 10:56 AM
TDG Mafia Member #21

You definatly need a fp gauge to keep uour injection pump healthy.

2007 F350 CC 4x4, EGR delete, stock for now

Old truck :"01" Dodge 3500 DRW. Goerend Bros w/ triple disk, Edge Drag Comp, Jammer Stage 5's, Turnbuckle, Dakota Digital and ISSPRO Gauges, BHAF,4" FLO-PRO exhaust, Vulcan kit, Holley Blue Pump, TC Lockup Switch, Snow stage 2, a few more little bits in the works

377hp and 823tq @ Smokin' (with stage 3's/no drag upgrade)
"400" club wannabe
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 12:25 PM

I dont wanna start a fight but I disagree. Ithink the first step is upgrade the fuel system. At the very least an aux lift pump and low pressure light.My fuel press with this setup is 18 psi at idle, and I have not seen the light come on yet.With the smarty and quadzilla I can, and regalarly do, rev this combo to 34-3500 rpms with no fueling problems.If Ineed to upgrade after my injectors it would be to a cam and mechanical pump.Just my narrow minded opinion.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 02:49 PM
TDG Mafia Member #21

I agree with you to a point. I would only say that you don't need to replace the factory lp until it gets weak. When that time comes upgrade to an aftermarket pump. If the factory pump holds good pressure it is just as good as any other pump as far as the IP is concerned. I don't really believe in spending money on things I don't need until I need them. When he starts adding mods he will probably need one but until then he could spend the money on other goodies for the truck.

That being said, If he has the money lying around.......gauges, aftermarket lp, and an intake would make nice first mods.

Old truck :"01" Dodge 3500 DRW. Goerend Bros w/ triple disk, Edge Drag Comp, Jammer Stage 5's, Turnbuckle, Dakota Digital and ISSPRO Gauges, BHAF,4" FLO-PRO exhaust, Vulcan kit, Holley Blue Pump, TC Lockup Switch, Snow stage 2, a few more little bits in the works

"400" club wannabe
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 06:32 PM

I didnt mean replace the lift pump, but add one to the frame by the tank.There are probably lots of kits out there I got mine from BD Power.The total $ is not much more than a gauge and mount.If you already have a box its only a matter of time (and prolly not a long time) till you have to upgrade anyways,and this will work fine even if you get injectors.Unless you are doing major hp upgrades in the near future(450+) this is the best value.Again, just my narrow minded opinion.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 08:16 PM

I agree with 99mtnram, You will need one at some point down the road. You may be able to get by with just a guage, but if you can afford it, you might as well throw in another pump and get it done with from the start. It won't cost you a whole lot more than a guage either, once you figure in the price of an isolator if you go mechanical, or the fact that an electric gauge costs $250 from the very beginning.

with that said, I would just say upgrade your fuel system completely if you have the money to throw down on it. I personally don't like the stock filtration system and would recommend getting something better, whether it is a FASS or GDP or something from aeromotive thats up to you, but it beats stock.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 02:12 PM
TDG Mafia Member #21

I agree with the both of you. The key words were "if you can afford it" get both. I agree 100% with that. I just think that if he can only get one thing he should get the gauge (assuming the pump is working) or at least a warning light first. A second lift pump on the rail could fail just like the factory lp because most kits use the Carter pump. I had 3 failures in less than 4 weeks when I put the Carter on the frame rail. Apparently they had a bad run on pumps at the manufacturer. I switched to the Holley and have had no problems since. My point is, I wouldn't have known there was a problem without a gauge or warning light. Just because it is new doesn't mean it is working right.

99MTNRAM......there is no such thing as a narrow minded opinion in my book. Opinions are what help us learn from each other. One of the things I love about this forum is that we can all say what we think and it doesn't turn into an arguement. That is the reason I left all the other forums I was on and spend all my time here.

"400" club wannabe
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

what kind of psi should it be running?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weebz90
what kind of psi should it be running?
More than me......................1 psi or more.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the VP44 goes out because you get negative pump pressure, the VP44 starts suckin air and because the VP44 uses fuel for lubercation. Therefore it loses lube and frys, dies, crys however you say it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode