Head Lights - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by turbo606, this thread has received 13 replies and been viewed 1152 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Head Lights

My Low beams are going on and off be themselves. My high beams and fog lights are all working correctly. When i have my lights on and the ebrake on there is no lights until you put the high beams on. The low beams work some times. I checked all of the connections and switch. I also checked for a low beam relay, but there is only one for the fog lights. Any Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Hey, i got it figured out. It was the dimmer switch on the steering coloum.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2006, 10:31 PM

That happened on my ford. I haven't had any issue with the dodge, but I didn't even think to suggest that. Glad ya found the problem though.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 01:56 AM
Bouncer

I will have to remember that one. That is the first time I have heard of that problem on the 24v trucks. I have replaced a lot of headlight switches on 12v, but never had the problem of a dimmer going bad on the 24v trucks.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 03:54 AM

Any installed the HID conversion kit on these Dodges yet? I'm flirting around with the idea for my own christmas present to myself. Even though I should give my VP44 a FASS instead.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 07:52 AM
D_B

Forget the HID conversion and buy yourself one of these wiring harnesses from Summit.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Once you get one of those harnesses and get your lights running off the batteries instead of the cheap DC switch and wiring then get ya a set of Silver Star bulbs from Salvania. You should have about $100 in the lighting then and it will make a word of differance. Myself and Bouncer did this to our trucks and boy its night and day differance. I get bright lighted all the time on low beams. Even took off my Light Force light cause I didn't need them any more.

Then with all the money you saved from not doing the HID conversion you can buy that FASS for you VP. :Thumbup: :

Seriously! The harness from Summit is money well spent.

DB

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 LWB, Intense Blue, 5spd,
4:10's, all kinds of goodies and doodads!

NRA Lifer
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 07:59 AM
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B
Forget the HID conversion and buy yourself one of these wiring harnesses from Summit.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Once you get one of those harnesses and get your lights running off the batteries instead of the cheap DC switch and wiring then get ya a set of Silver Star bulbs from Salvania. You should have about $100 in the lighting then and it will make a word of differance. Myself and Bouncer did this to our trucks and boy its night and day differance. I get bright lighted all the time on low beams. Even took off my Light Force light cause I didn't need them any more.

Then with all the money you saved from not doing the HID conversion you can buy that FASS for you VP. :Thumbup: :

Seriously! The harness from Summit is money well spent.

DB
:

If you get one of those wiring harness, I can then tell you how to make a homemade BriteBox where your low beams stay on when you turn your high beams on for about $0.44 with a diode from Radio Shack.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 01:44 AM
Cummins Man

Ok so how hard are those to install?

04 Duramax
93 Dodge D-250
91 Dodge D-350
84 Dodge D-150
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 02:03 AM
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed&confused
Ok so how hard are those to install?
20 minutes tops. Mount the two relays with a bolt through a exsisting hole in the left fender. Hook the two hot wires to your battery, they are fused. Unplug the left headlight harness from the bulb and plug it into the new wire harness. Then push one of the two ends of the new harness into the left bulb and mount the left side ground wire. Then run the rest of the harness over the top of the radiator following the wire loom already there from the factory. Unplug the right side assembly from the bulb, wrap with some tape, and leave there. Then plug the other assembly from the harness into the bulb and mount the ground wire. Wait for night time and enjoy. :Thumbup:

I strongly suggest adding Sylvania Silverstar bulbs when doing this. They are exceptionaly bright, shine farter down the road, and have a wider side to side range than any stock bulb. They are not cheap at about $30 a pair, but well worth it.

Do these two in combination with each other and you will think your brite lights are on when they are on low. PM me and I can tell you how to make a homemade brite box if you get the harness.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 08:45 PM
Cummins Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer
20 minutes tops. Mount the two relays with a bolt through a exsisting hole in the left fender. Hook the two hot wires to your battery, they are fused. Unplug the left headlight harness from the bulb and plug it into the new wire harness. Then push one of the two ends of the new harness into the left bulb and mount the left side ground wire. Then run the rest of the harness over the top of the radiator following the wire loom already there from the factory. Unplug the right side assembly from the bulb, wrap with some tape, and leave there. Then plug the other assembly from the harness into the bulb and mount the ground wire. Wait for night time and enjoy. :Thumbup:

I strongly suggest adding Sylvania Silverstar bulbs when doing this. They are exceptionaly bright, shine farter down the road, and have a wider side to side range than any stock bulb. They are not cheap at about $30 a pair, but well worth it.

Do these two in combination with each other and you will think your brite lights are on when they are on low. PM me and I can tell you how to make a homemade brite box if you get the harness.

Thanks for the info Bill. You happen to know the part # for that kit?

Andy

04 Duramax
93 Dodge D-250
91 Dodge D-350
84 Dodge D-150

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode