Hard start..something new - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by SuperDave4x4, this thread has received 12 replies and been viewed 1047 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
not here much

Send a message via AIM to SuperDave4x4
Hard start..something new

Well I've had this hard start for about month now and it's not getting worse or better. I did however find out the other day that if I park facing down any type of hill, slope or just park in any form or fashion that makes the front end a wee bit lower than the rear that it will crank right up. Do yall have any thoughts on this? Also my Vulcan Draw Straw is sitting on the floor, but now I'm having to wait on a fitting so that I can hook up my 1/2" fuel line from my tank to my Holley. IF (and that's a big IF) this fixes my truck it will be a miracle! If not then the truck goes to the shop next week. I hate to take it to the dern dealership, but this is just getting flat out annoying, aggervating, and embarrasing. : laugh

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 24v CTD Ext. Cab-
01' motor w/ orings, .020 gasket, SunCoast, drag comp, 150hp EDMs, 64/71-14, AirDog150.......

Photos

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 10:14 PM
Bouncer

Are you 100% sure your Holley is working on start-up? It is possible once the VP44 starts pulling a small amount of fuel the Holley then starts pumping. Other than that I would have to say you are sucking air somwhere and the feed line is bleeding off. Perhaps parking it downhill is keeping it full?

I think sstockton has had this problem or knows someone who did. I am not sure if theis was the metering problem he had or not. He will probably reply soon.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
not here much
Threadstarter

Well I'm almost positive it's working. When I turn the key and I watch my FP gauge and it goes up and then back down, at the same time I can hear my Holley running for a second.

Does anyone have a clue as to where on the return line that is more prone to cracking than another spot? I looked over the line as much as I couldn't see anything wrong with it, but I couldn't get a good look where it goes into a T on the back of the motor.

01' motor w/ orings, .020 gasket, SunCoast, drag comp, 150hp EDMs, 64/71-14, AirDog150.......

Photos

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 10:35 PM

yeah, I was having hard start problems when hot. I didn't notice any difference parking on a hill, but I don't park on hills very often either. If it is a cracked metering diaphram in your VP, the hard start is caused by the excess pressure from the holley over riding the metering diaphram. If you haven't already tried this, disconnect the Holley from the wiring harness and try starting the truck. You won't have any fuel pressure so if it starts turn the truck off immediately so as not to damage your VP. On the plus side if it starts like it should, you know what your problem is, and there is a pretty easy fix. Its worth a shot, it worked for my truck when I installed my FASS, as well as a couple other people I know. Even just a replacement stock lift pump can override the metering Diaphram if it has been cracked.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 10:41 PM
Bouncer

I forgot to ask in my other post and Sean hinted at it. Is this problem only when the truck is hot by chance or does it anytime it has been sitting?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
not here much
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer
I forgot to ask in my other post and Sean hinted at it. Is this problem only when the truck is hot by chance or does it anytime it has been sitting?
It doesn't matter if it's hot or cold. The only factor is the hill.

Photos

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 11:11 PM
D_B

It might be worth a try to check your fittings to the FP gauge. Make sure there are no leaks while the truck is running with the system under pressure. There is also a return line on the back side of the head. Those fittings there can become loose and leak over time as well. With it being easier to start pointing down hill it sure sounds like a leak to me.

DB

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 LWB, Intense Blue, 5spd,
4:10's, all kinds of goodies and doodads!

NRA Lifer
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 11:27 PM

yeah, and with it not making a difference whether it is hot or cold, to me that rules out the Metering diaphram, which is really only needed for hot starts. If you do have a leak and are getting air in the lines which is what it sounds like, having the truck parked facing down hill would clear the bubble(s) out of the VP. Having it parked facing up hill would seem to make the bubble(s) move toward the vp, making starting more difficult. I'm thinking its not likely in the return line, but it may be.
Sean

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 04:36 AM
D_B

I agree!

Sounds more like in supply side of things before the injection pump to me.

I had a leak at my isolator for my FP gauge and mine was hard to start. It is easiest to find the leak while the truck is running. Park it on some flat dry surface and start looking. If you don't find it soon and its enough for a hard start while its idle you should see a wet spot under the truck. Then you can go from there to find the leak.

Now all that being said, when my VP went belly up it was hard to start cold or hot.:shrug:

DB

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 LWB, Intense Blue, 5spd,
4:10's, all kinds of goodies and doodads!

NRA Lifer
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 05:16 AM

D B did you throw any codes before your vp died? It could be a vp, but I hate jumping to that conclusion, that is an expensive fix and usually there are some other signs first.
Sean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode