Fuel Pressure Problem? Lift problem? Going on long trip this weekend! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by JaredMTFD, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 1628 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Fuel Pressure Problem? Lift problem? Going on long trip this weekend!

Thanks in advance to everyone who has helped me so far.

I am still not happy with the fuel pressure gauge that I have rigged up. I have an el-cheapo 16 PSI gauge from advance auto plumbed into the fuel filter cap. I HATE the copper tubing I used, and I am looking for alternatives. With the straight copper the gauge is terribly noisy, I can't even hear the turbo anymore over the gauge rattling.

The usual readings that the gauge is showing (which may or may not be accurate) are 6-8 PSI when travelling, and maybe 10-12 when idling. I am pretty sure that the reading I am getting is dangerously low? I have the superchips tuner on the LOWEST setting, and have cold-air intake and 4" straight exhaust.

Here is the current dilemma. I am going on a trip this weekend, and I need to get things squared away before then. What do I need to do NOW, without breaking the bank. I really don't have time to order parts, unless I know they will be here by friday.

I'm thinking that I need some better fuel line, to quiet the gauge, and it may give me a more accurate reading.

I'm not using the superchips for high-performance right now, it is on the TOW-SAFE (lowest setting) just so I can adjust the computer for tire height (correct the spedometer reading) and get better fuel milage.

I know that these things cost money, but I am broke and can't afford a bunchy of fancy stuff...yet. All of the mods that I have now, I got either used or by nabbing good eBay deals. I also bought them for the purpose of more economical engine performance, and cooler EGT's.

So, in summary, what do you suggest that I do (or not do) to keep things running smoothly for my trip this weekend? Or am I silly by thinking that there is a problem to even worry about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 02:13 PM
TDG Mafia 57

Replace the copper tubing with plastic tubing and get an isolator, for the gauge. You should be able to get the plastic tubing from the hard wearer store or from a truck supply store . As for as the ice try your local hydraulic supply store. They should have something like this to help you out. All in all all the parts should not be no more than $ 60.00
The isolator, works by taking the fuel in one side and pushing on a diaphragm and then pushing on another fluid ethylene glycol and that goes to the gauge in the truck to give you the pressure reading. A good hydraulic shop should have everything you need.
Hope this helps.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2007, 04:22 PM

Another solution would be to make a low Fuel pressure light. You can get a tapped banjo bolt from GDP for about $9 and you can get a hobbs N/C pressure switch for about $15, get it preset to 6psi. Then run an LED into the cab triggered by the hobbs switch, if your fuel pressure gets too low, the light will light up. GDP should be able to get you the banjo in a couple of days, or you may be able to find it at your local Napa store as well. Or what truckie said would work fine as well. I wish I had known about getting the isolator from a hydrualic shop, I paid over $100 for one from autometer.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 03:33 AM
Bouncer

Good advice above, you might find your pressure a little higher once the gauge is properly installed. If not you can always install another factory lift pump or a Holley pump oy your choice. Although the Holley is going to take you a little longer.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-24-2007, 04:35 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to steved
Depending on which port you tapped into on the head, you could be seeing FP down stream of the filter...might need the filter replaced...

steved

SOLD - 2004.5 2500 Ram, 600CTD, NV5600, 4.10s, FASS'd, Dynatrac Free-Spin Kit, Gulf Coast 0-1 bypass, Intake and Exhaust.

New - 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD, 6.0L, 6spd auto, 4wd, 3.73s..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode