Rust remover - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Carbur8tr, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 446 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Rust remover

Im looking for a good rust remover to get all the rust off of my drive shaft and posible my header. Im thinking about having them coated black with a high heat paint. Just want to get them clean before I do anything. Any recommendations Im open for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 03:13 AM
Bouncer

I use this stuff with great success. You get all the grime and flakey rust off, then spray this on and let it sit 24-48 hours. It goes on clear, but when you come back any places that had rust will now have a smooth black paintable finish. It is not the cheapest stuff around, but one aeresol can goes a long way.

Rust Convertor
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Im still curious as to if this is going to come out how I want it. I may just have the shaft powder coated. Ill test the paint and if Im satisfied go from there.

thanks for the help once again
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 12:46 PM
Dad

I ordered a product called "Rust Bullet" to try and help stop the inside our door rot on my truck. Seems to have worked for the time being. I think the key to getting any kind of surface coating to stick - paint or powder coat - is surface preparation. On something like a drive shaft, the perfect solution would be to take it out, have it media blasted and powder coated. Powder is going to hold up better to the rocks and debris it will certainly encounter under your truck. Alternatively (and more cheaply), you can put a wire wheel on your grinder, polish it best you can, clean it with a good solvent like Bouncer pointed you to then spray aerosol sealer and color on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode