Planning to Start on Front Axle - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by lbdodge24v, this thread has received 16 replies and been viewed 882 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Planning to Start on Front Axle

I posted earlier about putting ball joints and all in on my truck. Well I also have to put seals in where the drive axles come out to the wheels. Well how hard are these to put in and what all has to come off to put them in. I know the knuckles all do but I gotta take them off for the ball joints, what else will have to come out to put the seals in.
Also will I have to pull them in or knock them in??
Just wondering about this one. I am going to order all the parts and tools the first of the week and hopefully get it torn apart as soon as i get some tools.
Thanks for any info on the seals and all. HOpe this goes well for me!
THanks for all the info so far and any given to come!:thanks:

02 Dodge Ram CTD, 6 spd., HMR Street Drag Clutch, Raptor 150, Edge Drag Comp, Smarty, Injectors, aFe air intake, 2 in leveling kit, 4 in exhaust, and 3 guages-Fuel Pressure, Boost, and EGT's.

The Toy a Jummins!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 02:17 AM
TDG Mafia Member #45

the seal are not that bad if you have all that stuff off already. the drives side is a little harder. for it you have to pull the stump out. the passenger side you go in where the vacum actuator(please for give spelling) is. just remember which way the collar comes out. one side has more of a beval to it. drive the seal back inside the tube to get them out. the seal need to be pulled in. i made a puller to do this and it real easy to make. if you have a buddy that has lathe it can be made in about an hour. it has a cup on one side to fit down in the seal to pull them in. i'll take a few pictures and put them up. like i said seals are the easy part. wheel bearings and ball joints are the fun job. i always end up saying a few bad wordissed: when i do wheel bearings. good luck!!

Randy
05 Dodge str8 pipe, smarty jr, afe, airbags, and pacbrake.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Alright, I don't know much about axles and all, when you say pull the stump out what all does that involve? And most likely will start tearing it apart tomorrow night or tomorrow sometime hopefully. I gotta get this thing fixed, or suck it up and take it and pay a load to have it fixed!

02 Dodge Ram CTD, 6 spd., HMR Street Drag Clutch, Raptor 150, Edge Drag Comp, Smarty, Injectors, aFe air intake, 2 in leveling kit, 4 in exhaust, and 3 guages-Fuel Pressure, Boost, and EGT's.

The Toy a Jummins!!
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 05:22 PM
TDG Mafia Member #45

seal puller

when i say stump, i'm talking about the ring gear and carrier. its not taht bad to pull out. just remember how everything came apart.

1. is how the seal will go back in. the seals get pulled in from the inside to the outside if that makes any since. you will see when you take them a part.
2. is the cup that the seal sits in.
3. same has 2 different view.
4. is the part that sit in the axle tube.
5.that is how the seal sit on the cup.
each side is different, one has a small center hole and one has a large center hole. the major diameter for both seals are the same. the seals them self look different. good luck!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	10532   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	10533   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	10534   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	10535   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	10536  

Randy
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Alright, thanks so much for the info:thanks: , It is looking like once again it is getting put off. No where so far has had the tools to do it with, so they have to be ordered and that will take a couple days. So hopefully by the weekend it will be torn apart and hopefully started back together. Thanks again for the info, hope it works out for me on this one. Tackling new ground for me!!!

The Toy a Jummins!!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Alright, I am getting to the taking it apart part of this soon. I went and bought what parts they had for my truck today, well got all the ball joints and one of the seals. The other seal will be there in the morning and also the ball joint tools. But the only problem I have now, is in the pics posted by jarhead, in pic 1 and 5 is the green part the seal?? Cause if it is they sold me the wrong parts. Just going by the box the seal I got is in it looks to be like the ones we put in with bearings and all. I was just wondering if I needed to search farther before I tear it apart, or if the seals look fairly normal or what!?! I am just checking on this before I get started because I want everything to be right and waitiing to be put in if at all possible. But if the whole green part on top of the tool is the seal, then I have the wrong seal for it. Thanks for the info on this.. Hopefully I have the right seal but it wouldn't surprise me if I don't and hopefully I made the right choice to go with MOOG parts instead of any of the others. Thanks again.

The Toy a Jummins!!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Also whats the best oil to refill the axles with??

The Toy a Jummins!!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 10:46 PM
TDG Mafia Member #45

that is the seal that goes in a 01. that one goes on the drives side. the little cone part on the seal is to help you get the axle back in. thats the seal dodge gives you. sometime if you get a seal a parts store you may get the right seal just different. the seal you got will probly work it just doen't have the cone part on it. each side is different.

Randy
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Alright, thanks for that info, I was just making sure I had the right stuff, I am new to the front axle workings, but learning fast. Thanks for the info.

The Toy a Jummins!!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 03:29 AM
Bouncer

I would spend the extra money and put a good 85w-90 sythetic gear oil back in the axles. It will last twice as long, run much cooler, and resist breakdown much better. I personally run Royal Purple in both my axles and my tranny, but there are several good oils out there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode