Rough Idle or something Rattling bad - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by WBV06CTD, this thread has received 11 replies and been viewed 10665 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Rough Idle or something Rattling bad

When my truck is idling it sounds like something is wrong or rattling real bad.. But as soon as you touch the pedal it stops.. If you are in neautral it will have a lopy idle like something is grinding somewhere.. But when driving down the road nothing seems wrong.. My truck sounds like it has a double disk clutch on it and it is an automatic truck!! Need help on what this is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Almost sounds like it is coming from where the flex plate is.. could it be something in there. I am going to go get it checked out next week.. It sounds really bad though!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 10:42 AM

If it does this while in N, then pull the little access plug and check your T/C bolts, before you do anything else--could be loose. It may be something else but I would go over everything I could on the bellhousing, flexplate, t/c, and anything else you can get your hands on in the drivetrain, just to check tightness/torque.

If you find that it isnt drivetrain then at least you'll know it'll be safe to drive without failure.......drivetrain wise.

Mikey

89 w250 project truck
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

yeah it has the loud rattling noise when I am neutral... I can stick in in Drive and when I start to move the noise quits but when the idle drops back down the noise starts again
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 02:46 PM

Like mikey said, check your drivetrain and make sure there is nothing wrong there that way you at least know thats safe.

When did you put those Connector tubes in? Those will make a truck idle loppy and funny and sound a lot different. If you've had them in for a while and it just started making this noise then I don't know what to tell you. Let us know what you find out. and good luck.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

The connector tubes have been in there for a while almost a year.. and it has a lopy idle.. this noise sounds like something is broken.. and I am sure that it is the flex plate it has gotten really loud.. so I parked it for now and I am going to take it to my Cummins mechanic on Monday.. In the mean time I am driving a nice BMW z4 :
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 06:33 AM

Garage
I had that problem a few months ago your about to loose all your tc bolts... so if it's bad enough your going to need a new flexplate and the tc will needs some attention too. if you need to go that far if the tranny is older might as well tear it down because it's pretty much out when your fix the flex plate and converter
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

yeah.. I got the flexplate just incase it might be cracked.. I just got the new transmission in about a month ago.. so I am hoping that nothing is wrong with that part.. Im hoping something is just loose and needs to be tightened back up
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBV06CTD
Im hoping something is just loose and needs to be tightened back up
You can check the t/c bolts in a matter of less than half an hour, I'd check em'.......mine were loose too, about a month after tranny install.

89 w250 project truck
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Well I checked up under my truck today and pulled the dust shield on the transmission and there was metal shavings on the lip.. I turned the motor over a couple of times and noticed that the flexplate was chipped and missing some pieces on it.. I went ahead and ordered my flexplate.. I hope nothing is wrong with the torque converter or transmission..I was able to drive it home.. not to far of a distance.. So I am hoping that the flexplate install will cure my issue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode