So I FINALLY started driving my Cummins today. Couple of questions - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by blackpsd, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 881 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

So I FINALLY started driving my Cummins today. Couple of questions

First off I did the key thing to bring up the codes and I got P1687, and P1693. I checked up on what they were, and got a bunch of explanations in Japanese or something.

The boot from the turbo to the intercooler pipe keeps slipping off of the clamp, simple fix, I ned a longer boot, I guess.

When I brake at a high speed it feels like the steering wheel is going to shake its way out of my hand, but I feel no vibrations during driving. I will check the brakes tomorrow in the evening to see what is going on up there.

All in all when the truck is actually getting the boost it should get I'm somewhat impressed, can't really tell which is faster my F350 or the 3500 but it has some kick.

I need exhaust soon, to get rid of the homemade system that is on there, I need to buy a gooseneck hitch, and also some type of programmer to make a bit more power. I'm kinda bummed that this truck doesn't have the overhead display. But It is low mileaged and seems to be full powered.

I'm going to get it registered in the morning since I've put it off long enough and may start working the truck now, since I told myself "I'm retired from Ford trucks" So I went out spent money and bought another truck just to see what this big hype is all about.

I will keep everyone updated with this "glorious" Dodge thing :Thumbup:

'01, DRW, Cummins HO, 6spd, hrvp44, holley black, fbd 150hp injectors, edge juice w/ attitude, 4" magnaflow exhaust, Bullseye Power s362 turbo, BHAF, Valair Clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 06:33 PM

P1687 is No Cluster bus message, and P1693 is DTC in Either ECM or PCM. its a companion code, and may be surfacing because of the other one.

As for the intercooler boot that keeps popping off, if its the stock one, you shouldn't need a longer one. Pull it all the way off, inspect it for rips and tears and general damage. Then clean the inside really well, and clean the mating surfaces on the intercooler and charge air pipes also, contact clearer will work fine. Go get yourself a couple new clamps, and when re-installing the boot, spray hairspray in it. This will help to get it to slip on, then it will stick and stay on.

I had a boot that wouldn't stay on for anything on my truck. it was popping at about 15-20psi. I did this trick, and it has held 35-40psi for 20k at least.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstockton
P1687 is No Cluster bus message, and P1693 is DTC in Either ECM or PCM. its a companion code, and may be surfacing because of the other one.

As for the intercooler boot that keeps popping off, if its the stock one, you shouldn't need a longer one. Pull it all the way off, inspect it for rips and tears and general damage. Then clean the inside really well, and clean the mating surfaces on the intercooler and charge air pipes also, contact clearer will work fine. Go get yourself a couple new clamps, and when re-installing the boot, spray hairspray in it. This will help to get it to slip on, then it will stick and stay on.

I had a boot that wouldn't stay on for anything on my truck. it was popping at about 15-20psi. I did this trick, and it has held 35-40psi for 20k at least.
Sean
the boot looks stock, I'll get new clamps and such it's just extremely hot out today, I don't feel like doing much. I'm not really understanding what the code is either, I've already saw that from a search :shrug:

'01, DRW, Cummins HO, 6spd, hrvp44, holley black, fbd 150hp injectors, edge juice w/ attitude, 4" magnaflow exhaust, Bullseye Power s362 turbo, BHAF, Valair Clutch
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 09:06 PM

Yeah, I don't really know what that one "ACTUALLY" means, just what it says. Are you having any problems with your guages? maybe check all the wiring for that, unless they are reffering to a different cluster that I am unaware of. If you can find a friendly helpful dodge tech that doesn't just say "oh bring it on in", you could ask them.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstockton
Yeah, I don't really know what that one "ACTUALLY" means, just what it says. Are you having any problems with your guages? maybe check all the wiring for that, unless they are reffering to a different cluster that I am unaware of. If you can find a friendly helpful dodge tech that doesn't just say "oh bring it on in", you could ask them.
Sean
I will try and ask my buddy who works at dodge tomorrow.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 03:18 PM
Bouncer

The wheel shaking in your hands is more than likely due to the fact your rotors are bad and need turned/replaced.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2007, 03:28 PM
Boost Junkie

what was the problem why it broke down in the first place?

Josh
1999 White Dodge 24v Goerend Auto SLT 4x4

1991 Ford Ranger 2.3 Turbo charged with a Holset HY35

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode