Idle Times - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Okie2500, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 637 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Idle Times

i hear it is bad fr our trucks to idle for too long, but how long is too long?

i know if left too long then it will mushroom a piston correct? well im just curious what is the max i should let my truck idle, as i stop and go alot in the construction business
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 08:15 PM

With your attitude you can look at you egt's. i shut mine down at 300 degrees bucause i hate walking away from my truck with just the park brake on when my turbo timer was on. At start-up in the winter i usually go about 5-10 minutes and in the summer 30 seconds after oil pressure builds.

2000 CTD, HOT Juice w/Attitude, Smarty, Mach 2 injectors (105 HP), 4" exhaust, BHAF, SB Clutch, FASS 150 ARP 12mm studs, stage 3 snow kit.

2008 f350/96 cummins in the works.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 10:50 PM

I don't know if your pistons will mushroom. But the top of your piston gets too cool, your piston rings shrink up and allow blow-by. The oil pressure gets to low so your piston sprayiers don't spray high enough in most cases, and your turbo doesn't see enough oil pressure and bad things can happen to it as well. What's an ok idle probably depends alot on the engine too, I've heard from several good sources 15 minutes is about too long. Which is my rule of thumb, however I know many other people that let there trucks idle hours at a time and still are fine. I really think it depends alot on your rig.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

i see. thanks guys. yeah i always use my attitude. shuts down at 290. i love the questions from friends and even randoms, "you know your truck just died right?" and the reply "oh my god holy sh*t! the attitude worked!" ha.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 04:13 AM

My understanding is that the 24v heads water passages are so efficent that in COLD weather long term idling will cool the valve guides down so cold they will constrict to the point of seizing the valve. Depending in what position this happens in then yes most likely they will hit the piston. I belive unless you are in winter in cold climates the most you will do is foul your injectors with carbon deposits.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 02:59 PM

I guess that's why the truck won't warm up in the winter no matter how long it idles huh ?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 04:28 PM

I thought the mushrooming problem was only in the new 6.7. Thats why so many engines were getting replaced. I'll let mine idle for a long time but its only occasionaly and I havent had any problems.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 04:54 PM

I try not to let mine idle for longer then 10min at a time. Sometimes I forget I left it runnin and it'll sit runnin for 45+min.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode