Taking front axle apart!! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by lbdodge24v, this thread has received 31 replies and been viewed 1537 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Taking front axle apart!!

ALright, I have finally gotten started on taking my front axle apart. But I can't get the stupid hub and bearing off. Is all that holds it on the four bolts that come through from the back of it??

We tried pulling it with a puller, and it wouldn't move, so we decided to build a hammer to beat it off with, well so far it hasn't moved it either. But the hammer was fairlly easy to build, just made it out of parts laying around the barn, and I mean literally parts.

But is there anything other than the four bolts that hold the bearing and hub on, am I over looking something here.

Well headed back to look it over again, and try to move it a lil more.
Thanks for any info it will be greatly appreciated on this one!!!!:thanks:

02 Dodge Ram CTD, 6 spd., HMR Street Drag Clutch, Raptor 150, Edge Drag Comp, Smarty, Injectors, aFe air intake, 2 in leveling kit, 4 in exhaust, and 3 guages-Fuel Pressure, Boost, and EGT's.

The Toy a Jummins!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbdodge24v
ALright, I have finally gotten started on taking my front axle apart. But I can't get the stupid hub and bearing off. Is all that holds it on the four bolts that come through from the back of it??

We tried pulling it with a puller, and it wouldn't move, so we decided to build a hammer to beat it off with, well so far it hasn't moved it either. But the hammer was fairlly easy to build, just made it out of parts laying around the barn, and I mean literally parts.

But is there anything other than the four bolts that hold the bearing and hub on, am I over looking something here.

Well headed back to look it over again, and try to move it a lil more.
Thanks for any info it will be greatly appreciated on this one!!!!:thanks:

First thing, DO NOT take the nut off of the center of the outside hub. If you do and have separated the hub bearings, be prepared to spend an un-expected 300 bucks.

Yes the four bolts, and lots of road grime, hold that sucker in there. Easiest way to get it off is, support the truck real good while up on the lift/jackstands. Use a long extension, or something metal laying around and put it against the hub flange from the inside, like beside where you took off the 4 bolts. Next, place the extension agiainst one of the control arms, or something solid. Then proceed to have a buddy start truck, then GENTLY use the power steering to "push" out the hub assembly. Has worked many times for me.

When all else fails drive wedges all around rotor, in-between the rotor and cast spindle. This will "work" the hub out of the spindle, some of the time this ruins the rotor.

Mikey

89 w250 project truck
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

So I wasn't suppose to take that nut off with the key in it on the end of the hub, alright first oops so far. I was going by the book I thought, well the book I bought that has some steps in how to do this, well so far nothing has moved on it, I will put the nut back on and hope for the best with that one.

We took the time to build a copy of a megahammer(well looks nothing like theirs, but same does the same thing), to try and knock the stuff off, but so far nothing has moved.

So if I leave the nut on what all will come off with this, I have neve messed with this before and am learning fast that it is a pain!!!

So I should leave the nut in the center and then try and push or pull the hub and bearing off?!?!

Thanks so far! Start back on it in the morning and see what happens.

02 Dodge Ram CTD, 6 spd., HMR Street Drag Clutch, Raptor 150, Edge Drag Comp, Smarty, Injectors, aFe air intake, 2 in leveling kit, 4 in exhaust, and 3 guages-Fuel Pressure, Boost, and EGT's.

The Toy a Jummins!!
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbdodge24v
So if I leave the nut on what all will come off with this, I have neve messed with this before and am learning fast that it is a pain!!!

So I should leave the nut in the center and then try and push or pull the hub and bearing off?!?!

Thanks so far! Start back on it in the morning and see what happens.

Yep leave the nut on, it is a hub/bearing assembly. When it does come loose, the rotor, hub assembly, and axle will all come out at the same time.

Believe me, I tried to rebuild the bearing assembly myself after I pulled them apart with no luck. It then cost me around 300 bucks for a new bearing/hub assembly.

You'll probably have to get aggressive with it, but leaving the nut on insures that you wont separate the bearings.

89 w250 project truck
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-29-2007, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Aggressive- great word for this, Well before I start back on it in the morning i am going to take the rig we built off and put that nut back on and see what happens from there. Something is going to have to give if our hammer deal holds together, tore the handle off tonight, so gotta repair it too. Well I will see what I get done tomorrow.:censored

Thanks again,
:dodge

The Toy a Jummins!!
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Alright, I worked on it somemore today, still can't get the bearing and hub off. Did break the tool we built to try and knock it off with. I guess I am going to have to resort to heating it up, didn't really want to heat it if I didn't have too. SO what exactly should we heat up on it to help get it moving, an can the bearings be reused after all this goes on or just go ahead and replace them?? I am ready for this job to get moving in a forward direction again. SO any input on this will be great, if there is something else i can try before heating it all up that would be great to know.
But if I do have to heat them up, where exactly do i need to heat, heat the tabs where the bolts come through at or what??:shrug:

thanks for any info, it will be greatly appreciated!!!!

The Toy a Jummins!!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Alright, still can't get this thing to move, still gotta try heating it, is there anything inside the axle that holds the shaft in, Or where am I going wrong, I got the brake off, the rotor off, and now can't seem to get the hub and bearing off!! What to try, and am I over looking anything besides the 4 bolts in the back of the knuckle that holds all this on!!! Need some help here, I am ready to get this job moving agian,

Alright, any info or HELP PLEASE!!!!

The Toy a Jummins!!
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 02:26 AM
TDG Mafia Member #45

ok seem like your having trouble. use some pb blast on it. i take the tie rod off so the knuckle turn just a little more. it let you get in there a little better to hit the bolts. find some bolt that match the bolt that hold the bearing. 2 will work fine 1 on each side and 1 in top and 1 in the bottom. now you need a good big punch and big hammer. 3 or 4 good hit on 1 side then go to the other side. just repeat a few times. this is how i have take every set of bearings off. i have had some help from a smoke wrench a few times too. just when you think it isn't going to move just hit it harder. this does work on the ones that you think are welded on. good luck!!!

Randy
05 Dodge str8 pipe, smarty jr, afe, airbags, and pacbrake.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Alright Update, We got the passeger side apart(after the hammer got it, a puller, a home made slide hammer, two hot wrenches, a bigger hammer, a puller pulled tight as we could, and a hammer and chisel. we got it off but it was broke, the hub and bearing, then bearing housing came off!!) I wanted new bearings anyways!!, ball joints out, bearing and hub assembly off and in two pieces now(get new ones now I guess), and were going to put the new ball joints in and what do you know, wrong TOOLS , the press won't fit over the upper ball joint and the lower one, well we gave up for today, started taking the driver side apart, so far it hasn't moved but it will one way or the other, got big puller on it, a BFH, and a big chisel, and lots and lots of John Deere spray and PB blaster on it. Won't get to use our home made slide bar/big hammer, seeing as how we broke some pieces off it on the passenger side(but can probably piece it bac together for a couple hits on it), but moving on, hopefully get it back together by the 4th ha ha. Well anyways just an update.

I swear those bearings are the hardest none welded piece to get off i have ever tackled, and the good news is we got another truck needing them too, WHAT GREAT PRACTICE!!!:93C_peelo

thanks for all the input, I would be lost without you guys on here!!! Thanks to everyone that posted on this thread or any of my others, thanks for all the help from all of you~:thanks:

The Toy a Jummins!!
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-01-2007, 02:26 PM

I had the same problem .
My rotors were junk and I couldn't get the hub and rotor to seperate.
So sincne the rotors were junk I used a sledge hammer and beat the crap out of 'em and finally got them off.
Probably wasn't good on the hub , but neither side has failed yet .
I do not recommend this to anyone , just sharing my storey.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode