Need help please - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Allan05F350, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 550 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
M1 Redneck Racer - 8200#

Need help please

I acquired an 02 and seem to be having an issue. The truck runs fine until the RPM's drop to about 1500 then there is no power until the RPM's climb to about 1700 and then it kicks in and goes.

Even when the power picks up it seems like it still not all there. While towing a 6000lbs travel trailer it has trouble doing 60 up a small hill and on a medium hill it almost over heated the hill was about a mile pull, I was trying to keep the truck up to 60 and had to down shift to 3rd and run the rpm's at 3500 just to keep the truck from stopping.

oh yeah the truck is a 5 speed manual.

The truck is currently not chipped, however I know in the past it was. I dont know what chip.

There are no gauges never have been.

What might be causing the problems? I presume eith fuel pump or turbo but I am a ford guy not Dodge, but I am trying...

99' F350 Crew Cab 4x4 LWB, 5" Turbo Back Exhaust Gauges, Dp Tuner, DIY air filter, Kenwood DVD GPS

02' Dodge 3500 Dually Extra Cab, 5 speed. FASS fuel pump, Edge Juice with Attitude

Can You Keep Up??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 11:16 PM

probably lift pump

It sounds like your lift pump must be going out. That is a pretty common problem with these trucks. If you do replace it I wouldnt use a stock one. As far as for your turbo I does it sound like it is spooling up properly? You can also remove the air hose that connects to the turbo. that takes a screwdriver and ten sec's. When you do that you can inspect the turbo for damage. Sounds like worst case it might be your vp44 inj pump which is quite expensive.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Dad

Start with easy first, I would replace the fuel filter and see if that helps you.

The Achilles heal on these trucks is the lift pump and in the injector pumps. The injector pump is lubricated and cooled by the fuel. If the lift pump fails, the Injector Pump does have pump veins in it and can supply itself from the fuel tank, but doing so will rupture the diaphragm in the IP and cause it to fail over time. To prevent this, a lift pump that holds the low pressure supply at a minimum of 12 PSI is absolutely essential to the life of the injector pump.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you have the "dead pedal" symptom of a failing VP44 Injector pump. If this is the case, I would also look at upgrading the lift pump and getting a fuel pressure gauge as part of your repair.

Plenty of reading on the forum about lift pump solutions.

Here is some good VP44 Reading: http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/VP44INFO.html
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
M1 Redneck Racer - 8200#
Threadstarter

Thank you for the input. On my way to go purchase a new lift pump and maybe an Injection pump. Also think I will add some gauges to this truck, mainly fuel pressure, EGT, and Turbo boost.

Lord knows if I get this thing running correct I will end up at the track.

Thanks Again

99' F350 Crew Cab 4x4 LWB, 5" Turbo Back Exhaust Gauges, Dp Tuner, DIY air filter, Kenwood DVD GPS

02' Dodge 3500 Dually Extra Cab, 5 speed. FASS fuel pump, Edge Juice with Attitude

Can You Keep Up??
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 08:51 PM

Try buying a FASS pump they're pretty good and give U a extra fitler.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
M1 Redneck Racer - 8200#
Threadstarter

OK, Installed the FASS pump and new fuel filter. Now have occasional hard start and still (less often) have the loss of power below 1500 rpm. Guess I am going to need the Injection pump.... Edge Juice with attitude should be here Thursday.

Does anyone have a better mounting bracket available for the FASS pump? that under the frame rail scares me.

Can You Keep Up??
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 11:30 PM

that blows

Ya definitely sounds like the ip pump. to bad man. Have you thought of going with the hrvp44 ip? And least with your fass system now you wont have to worry about your stock lp anymore.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
M1 Redneck Racer - 8200#
Threadstarter

OK, new info. got my Juice with Attitude and have fuel pressure and boost displayed. when the truck lags there is no boost. fuel pressure is 12-15lbs.

Can You Keep Up??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode