5 Speed Tranny Question.. - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Dad, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 778 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Dad

5 Speed Tranny Question..

This may qualify for the dumbest question of the week, hopefully I will win a t-shirt or something.. :shrug:

I have the NV4500 5 Speed tranny. I have looked all over the exposed surfaces and can only find one drain plug. It is located on the passenger side and has a tag on it instructing to refill with Castrol Syntorq. My question - where is the other drain plug? The one I have found appears to be low enough to be the lower drain and I don't find anything else lower. Is the top plug accessed through the cab?

Thanks for any advice..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 12:36 PM

There is no drain plug on a NV4500. The plug you are referring to is the fill plug. You can drain it through the lowest PTO cover bolt witch uses a 9/16 wrench or socket.

Dan
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Dad
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoGrand
There is no drain plug on a NV4500. The plug you are referring to is the fill plug. You can drain it through the lowest PTO cover bolt witch uses a 9/16 wrench or socket.

Dan
That certainly explains why I couldn't find it. I thought I was going nuts.

I looked at the PTO cover and wondered but saw a liquid gasket material and decided against that. So if I remove one bolt and don't disturb the seal, I don't need to get any permatex or anything to seal it back up? Just remove the bolt and replace it when done?

Also, my reference shows I need 8.5 pints of Castrol Syntorque 75w-90. Sound like the right amount?

Good reference site here for this kind of thing: http://dodgeram.org/

Thanks for your help.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Dad
Threadstarter

I have done more reading today. Seems like there are mixed opinions on whether you should even change this fluid or not. I have 120K, seems like at some point you would benefit from fresh fluid. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 07:09 PM

ok

If it aint broke dont fix it. ha jk But I had and old chevy with manual never touched the fluid it went 250000 miles. Sometimes, in my opinion it is better to leave things like that be. But im sure others will argue to change it. I know that probably didnt help you out at all but I just felt like rambling. Anyhow good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode