Twin Turbos, factory head gasket. - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Smokem, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 653 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

Twin Turbos, factory head gasket.

https://host540.ipowerweb.com/~relen...481a0a93508bee

Rentless Diesel makes a turbo add on compound kit and they say you don't need to mod your head gasket if you keep the fueling low? Is this possible?
I thought adding another turbo you'd always need o ringed head gasket. Or they just blowing smoke! (that works both ways)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 07:19 AM

Chris at relentless is supposed to be a very reputable guy and has one hell of a truck himself. As for running without modifying the headgasket. Sure thing, but you'll want studs. That kit shouldn't break the 70psi with reasonable fueling. I've heard from several sources, Piers being one of them, that a stock 24v HG with 12mm studs should handle 80psi boost pretty well. Personally, I would consider adding a blow off valve or 2 to the #2 charge air line, and set them at 65psi or so, just to be safe. My friends old 24valve used to run 55psi boost all day long with a stock HG and bolts not studs, never had a problem with that truck blowing a headgasket.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Well I just feel stupid now, you don't even need to remove the head then if you want twins. I'm still throwing around ideas what I want my next truck to be. You think it'd be alright on a 12v too? Because if I'd put twins and then a stack pointed up that should be alot quieter than my truck now. It's just been too dang long since I've removed a head and don't have a shop to do it in. Putting on twins and head bolt I think I could handle on the street.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 04:45 PM

12v's don't handle the boost quite as well, but depending on what you're looking for with studs you should be fine. Most moderate power towing twins still only run about 60psi, which IMO should be fine on a 12v with studs. If you're going to do it on a 12v though, really try and find a 98 to do it on. It will make you life a lot easier.

The 98 and up trucks have an oil return cast into the block that is just plugged. Remove the plug and you have the ideal oil return for your twins. The 12v you have to install a return in the oil pan, which requires drilling, and you also need to install a baffle on the inside so that you aren't just spraying the crank. So you need to remove the oil pan. I've never done that, but IIRC I've heard that means pulling the motor to clear the cross member, but I'm not 100% certain if thats the only way.

Yeah, twins aren't as scary as they seem. I'm going to run mine with a stock HG or maybe a marine 12v gasket and studs. I don't think I'm going to mess with Decking and O-ringing my head.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I just don't want to pull off the head, that's my only thing. I'll probably mess it up if I do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode