Truck Won't Start-Need Help ASAP - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by TAMU Diesel, this thread has received 12 replies and been viewed 992 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

Truck Won't Start-Need Help ASAP

I'm no diesel mechanic, nor am I pretending to, but I went in to eat dinner tonight and come back out and my truck won't start. After pondering on what could be the problem, I realize that I'm sitting on an incline and had around 1/8 of a tank of diesel in my truck, so my buddy and I went and got more diesel and reprimed the engine in the parking lot. Still nothing. It's throwing codes at us, P0500 and P1694. Also, after cranking on it, it was leaking oil, so I'm concerned and have no clue what to do. Is there anyone out there who can help me out? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 09:02 AM

When you reprimed the system, did you crack any injector lines to bleed the air out, or just prime it by running the lift pump? Diesels hate air in the lines. I would definitely start by cracking the lines, then the truck can bleed off any air in the lines, and if you don't get any fuel to the injectors, you know you have a more serious issue.

Welcome to the garage by the way. We'll try our best to help you get this thing sorted out. It would be really handy if you could fill in your sig. And let us know a little more about your truck, Year, trans/drive type, features, and mods. All that stuff can go a long ways in diagonosing a problem.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstockton
When you reprimed the system, did you crack any injector lines to bleed the air out, or just prime it by running the lift pump? Diesels hate air in the lines. I would definitely start by cracking the lines, then the truck can bleed off any air in the lines, and if you don't get any fuel to the injectors, you know you have a more serious issue.

Welcome to the garage by the way. We'll try our best to help you get this thing sorted out. It would be really handy if you could fill in your sig. And let us know a little more about your truck, Year, trans/drive type, features, and mods. All that stuff can go a long ways in diagonosing a problem.
Sean

Yeah, a buddy and I bled the line out to reprime it and it still did the same thing. We initially thought that it was out of diesel because it wouldn't start, but after putting some in it and trying to bleed the air out to reprime it, it did the same thing. I'm stumped, I'm really not sure what is the next step to take. Until the sig gets filled in, I have a 2002 Dodge 2500 with a six-speed standard that is stock. Thanks for the help.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Also, I just remembered that the last two times prior to trying to crank it, it wouldn't start right off, and I had just shrugged it off as me not turning it over long enough. The truck would run fine after that. The oil leak is coming from around the middle of the block on the passenger side, and it's not a substantial amount and only leaked after cranking on it for a little. Thought that information might be pertinent to diagnosing the problem.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

So, what I thought was oil was actually power steering fluid that was spraying out when I was turning the wheel, so that isn't even an issue. I'm getting trouble codes saying that it's the injector pump, so any recommendations on the next line of action would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 05:21 PM

I was going to ask if you got any fuel at the injectors, because I see that you cracked the lines but didn't see that you go any fuel when you did. On an H.O. like you have, its not likely that you siezed the rotor in the pump, Bosch had that problem pretty much worked out by the time that pump would've been built, but it is still a possibility.

I'm betting your lift pump died or is producing inadequate pressure and took your VP out with it. Unfortunately these injection pumps are very susceptible to dying. Lots of things take them out. If you aren't getting fuel at the injectors then that is most likely your problem, even if you are, the internal timing could be way off, but usually its not enough to keep it from running it just doesn't run well.

I would say your next step is probably to get a new injection pump, There are several availble that are rebuilt very well, and seem to have fewer issues, but do to the general design of the pump they are inherintly flawed. If you're looking to modify your truck at all, I would look at a schied lightening pump or an Industrial Injection Hot Rod VP44. If you aren't looking to mod it Industrial injection or Bluechip Diesel. I personally prefer bluechip because they have adapted to run the freightliner Fedex electronics which are better designed not to wear out. Also Upgrade your lift pump at this time too.
Sorry this was a bit of info and maybe a little disjointed, let me know if you want me to clarify something.
Sean

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Well, actually we were getting fuel to the injectors when we cracked the lines and took a look, but my buddy and I concluded that there was inadequate pressure. I also tried cranking it and after it wouldn't start I would stop and I would hear a slight whistling and buzzing sound, which means that the fuel pump is in fact working. The truck is still under warranty, so it's more than likely going to be taken in if we can't troubleshoot it. We're going to load it up on a flatbed about here in an hour though.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 06:01 PM

Well, your lift pump is kicking on, but that doesn't mean its supplying adequate pressure. If you get as low as 5psi, you start doing damage to your injection pump. Diesels are pretty simple, fuel, air and compression. If you have air, which I'm sure you do, cause the valves would have to be staying shut not to, then that leaves you with fuel and compression. Unless compression was dead on all your cylinders it should at least try to fire. Its probably time for a new injection pump. Since its still under warranty, I'd just take what dodge gives you. They will probably replace your lift pump too, and relocate it to an intank pump, Personally I'm not too fond of these, but what are you gonna do. I wouldn't mess with it, until its out of warranty.

I would install a fuel pressure gauge, or a low fuel pressure light though. that way, if your fuel pressure drops again in the future, you can fix the problem before you take out another VP.
Sean

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I appreciate the help and the insight. More than likely it's going to get taken to a dealership and we won't have anything to do with it, as the engine and components are still under warranty. I was worried that it was something that I was doing wrong, but I take care of it, regularly change the oil, and keep it on pace to get anywhere from 19-21 mpg, so from that you should be able to deduct how I drive. Yes, I've gotten worse, but it's generally from pulling a trailer or getting into the throttle at a redlight, but from as little as I have done of the latter, I don't think that had anything to do with it. I really appreciate the help, and I will find myself reading this board a lot more often to learn what I know little about.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 06:37 PM

You said everything is stock on your truck with the exception you have a superchip? The superchip programmer I had was all fueling. That's probably what caused your problem. Just a wild guess. I know those have really agressive low end fueling. At least the one I had!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode