Moving - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by CumminsTorq, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 532 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
I now drive a Duramax...

Moving

I'm moving from Alaska to North Dakota and don't like the $4.50 a gallon for Diesel. What is the best way to improve fuel mileage when going through Canada while towing a 7000# trailer with maybe another 1000# in the bed? It's an automatic so obviously I can't add too much power. I was thinking an intake or a performance module. I was looking on the BullyDog website and there were people claiming a 7-8 MPG increase with some of their modules. Are these accurate or doctored by their site?

Tyler-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 04:30 AM

Welcome to the garage
7-8 mpg isn't going to happen, or not that I've seen. I would suggest an Edge EZ which only advances timing and doesn't add fuel, and a set of injectors, either Mach 1's or Rv 275's. The RV's are nice, cheap reliable, and won't destroy your trans, especially combine with only and edge EZ. The advanced timing of the box is what increases milage on performance boxes, and it also increases power a little bit, about 60-65hp maybe. With the injectors, a better spray pattern, and better atomization helps with milage.

I wouldn't expect any more than maybe a 2mpg gain though, just to keep your hopes from being too high. Also, with the amount its going to cost you, you could be a decent amount of fuel.
At $4.50 a 2mpg increase would save you .05 per mile. It would take approximately 16000 miles for these mods to pay for themselves. Don't buy them for the milage, buy them for the performance and view the milage as an added bonus.

If you are looking to mod your truck, then this is a good place to start. If you're just looking to save some money, well, you'll save more not buying the stuff. Thats all. Hope this helped and didn't just shoot down your plans.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 04:38 AM
Official TDG Doctor

still 2.79 here in the good ole Bluegrass state

Kickin' It At The Passing Lane
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
I now drive a Duramax...
Threadstarter

I would love to start getting more power out of my truck, and I need a somewhat valid excuse to my wife and myself. I'll look into the Edge and the RV 275's. Thanks for the advice.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 02:48 PM

Garage
I would also say get yourself some guages especially if your going to be towing with added power you need to monitor your egts. so I myself would say if your going to add a programmer and get a set of guages you might as well just get edge juice with attitude cuz the guages are built in and cost is pretty close to the same as a tripple guage setup. I was able to get mine for 850 with the pillar mount. Edge ez is roughly 500 and a tripple guage setup is right at 300 and with the attitude your also able to monitor your fuel pressure which as we all know is a big cause of failure in these trucks.. and if you install the setup and don't tap your injection pump wire you will not be able to add more than I think 80hp to save your tranny till you upgrade it. Just my thoughts.. cuz once you start modding you will want more
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 03:08 PM

Electric Fan.
A Gearvenders O/D unit. (espically if you got 4:10s)
A T/C switch which is almost free too do.
Sythetic Oil.
Thermostat, the Dodges will have 180's from factory, I'd switch it over to a 195.
For chip/box for mileage, I'd got with the Smarty. I wouldn't go with a EZ because I think they add alittlle fuel. Make sure if it's a dually you have it ALIGNED. Alot of alignment shops just kind of don't align duallys. So it's a good idea to take it to a shop that aligns big rigs.
Evans Waterless Coolant.
Intake and Exhaust.

That's all I can think of right now.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 05:33 AM

Check the alignment on the trailer.
Set the toe on the truck under 1/64 in.
If it has duals, check the stagger, they need to be the same rolling radius.
Add 10% to the sidewall pressure unless you hit a rough section of road.
Repack the bearings with synthetic grease, trailer and front on truck.
Use a new air filter.
Run a tarp or bed cover.
Check the injection timing and cylinder balance.
Check the transmission line pressure
Add a temperature gage to the trans - even if it is a cheap mechanical hose clamped to the fluid out line.
I am an advocate of 2cycle oil in the fuel, try a gallon of tcw3 rated at 100 to 200 :1. Most are 128:1
Water/methanol injection or propane supplementation.

keydl

93 Dodge /CTD, IC, 518, club cab LE, BHAF, KDP fixed, kelderman air ride
81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 08:48 AM

1/64 in? I wouldn't even know how to do that. The best I can do is 1/32 tolerence, and I'm not even sure of myself at that. What are you using that gets to 1/64.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode