Need Help, Dead pedal w/blue smoke - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by jeepman128, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 945 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

Need Help, Dead pedal w/blue smoke

OK so I have a problem on start up, I have a 98.5 CTD, w/ a 5 speed. I just bought it a few weeks back. When it firsts starts after sitting for a while (couple of hours)there is a lot of blue smoke, the truck misses, and it has a big flat spot (dead pedal). This happens for a good 5 minutes before whatever it is blows itself out. Once it is warmed up, you never see anything but maybe a little black smoke and the truck runs great, i haven't run a scanner on it yet, but i can tell you the blue smoke coming out is not burnt oil, well atleast it doesn'y smell like it. There doesn't seem to be any blow by in the motor when i pop the oil filler cap off. I have heard of a possible leaky injector, what do you guys think? Anything i can do to Diagnoss this?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 05:38 AM
Official TDG Doctor

A leaky injector wouldnt cause a lot of blue smoke...i wouldnt think...best thing to do is scan your codes...is the check engine light on? Have you filpped the key to see if any codes appear in your ODO???

Nathaniel

Kickin' It At The Passing Lane
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

ok, i just scanned it and got 4 codes, 0500 "no vehicle speed sensor", p1693"DTC detetcted in ECm or PCM", p2037 ???? and P2016???? I can't find those last two on the list on the sticky at the top
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 06:06 PM

cod

are you sure its not p0216... thats your timing code ,which means its going to cost yalaugh
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 06:17 PM
Bouncer

You either have a severe air leak some where in your fuel system, for your sake hope that is it. Although more than likely that code is the P0216 timing failure code and you are going to be replcaing your injection pump real soon. With it already being that hard to start it will not be long before it does not start at all.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer
You either have a severe air leak some where in your fuel system, for your sake hope that is it. Although more than likely that code is the P0216 timing failure code and you are going to be replcaing your injection pump real soon. With it already being that hard to start it will not be long before it does not start at all.
What he said ^^^^^^^^^^

Ya I'd start putting some additive in ASAP just to PREVENT it from leaving you stranded. I know what I'd recommend but I've been sounding like a spokes person for it lately. See if your fuel pump is even kicking in! Mine wasn't. My injection pump is going out but I only seem to have problems fueling as of right now. Which I believe is the fuel solenoid sticking closed. Not for sure. I don't think I'm having timing issues because when I get my fuel I don't seem to have any power issues or hard starting or mileage issues.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Well, its not having any issues starting, it fires right up actually and idles smoothly, but the issue comes in the first 10 minutes of when i try and push on the gas, but also the truck seems a little sluggish from other 24 valves i have driven in the rpm range of 1200-1600, seems its takes for ever for the boost to come on, I have been doing a lot of research about it today, and have come across a few others who have had the same issue, I guess it seems like the injector pump, which sucks, but Now i just need to find a reputable source to get one, I have heard of a few differnt places selling them, lke midwest injection, is there any other that has a reputable pump?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 02:24 AM
TDG Mafia # 81

Depending on where you are, there are lots of reputable shops through out. Let us know where y ou are, as some of us are in the industry and can get a few shop names for you and possibly save you a few bucks getting the original rebuilt.

Tony

2001 GMC 2500HD EC/LB, 4X4. A few go fast goodies. 540hp/1107tq Danville Dyno 11/09, Kennedy 40% injectors.

05 IH 9400i with Cummins ISX pulling a lumber bunk trailer, stuck in a swamp somewhere in Indiana.

Proud Veteran Served 6yrs Active Army From Germany, Kuwait and Bosnia to Ft. Hood and Ft. Knox

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode