My overall impression of the Cummins over Powerstroke. Some pix too - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by blackpsd, this thread has received 21 replies and been viewed 1297 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

My overall impression of the Cummins over Powerstroke. Some pix too

The mods my truck has are in my sig, and compared to the last 3 Powerstroke trucks that I have worked, this truck I must say pulls the best, however, before everyone gets their shorts wadded up. I have a lot of cons about the truck itself. First off I have a complaint about the bodystyle, it looks just like a 1500 ram when viewing it from head on, no biggie, but whatever, I've noticed it is no where near as comfortable or roomy as the Fords, I also believe it could be a lot smoother ride (suspension is kinda rough-even after new shocks). The stopping power is no where as good as a Ford neither (after replacing rotors, pads, etc). There maybe more but enough rambling. Now on to what I actually need the truck for, pulling! It does it, and it does it damn well, I must say better than any powerstroke I've owned, we went out and did a short haul (the woman and I) and she made a comment, "It doesn't even feel like your trailer is back there) which in hilly terrain I had to pull it out of cruise control once and downshift to 5th, other than that in 6th gear it has pulled good and maintained speed no matter what with a pretty heavy load. I am by far impressed with the Cummins powerplant.

Long story short, I may end up eventually selling my truck and buying a gas burner F350 drw super-crew for a low price if I find one and do a Cummins/6spd swap. I feel it may be the best of both worlds so to speak.

here's some pix after I washed and waxed it earlier, I definately would like a sport grille and bumpers set-up, new headlights, and just maybe some wheels if I keep the truck long enough.

'01, DRW, Cummins HO, 6spd, hrvp44, holley black, fbd 150hp injectors, edge juice w/ attitude, 4" magnaflow exhaust, Bullseye Power s362 turbo, BHAF, Valair Clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 02:35 AM
Official TDG Doctor

good!!! is it 2wd??? sits awful low...i hear ya about the ride, i only get uncomfy in duallys...my buddies 12v 2500 rides smooth on factory everything and courser C/Ts...but glad ya like it...for my 2 cents, if i was going to pull a gas and put in a diesel, i'd do it to a Power Wagon!!!! Im not sure if anyone has driven one but DO IT!!! Locking Front and Rear Diffs. and Electronic Disconnect Sway Bar, 3" Sus. Lift, 33 BFG All-Terrain T/Ako, and a Warn Wench...ALL FACTORY!!!! and if you lock the rear diff, and brake torque it OMG it'll eat them off!!! and i did that on a test drive! wish ida taped it!!!!

Nathaniel

Kickin' It At The Passing Lane
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 02:46 AM

The ride isn't that great on them but there are things you can do that will help that. Its a bit of work, but less than an engine swap.
A shackle flip in the rear and better springs and shocks up front goes an amazing way. I helped my friend do that to his 01 and it made a tremendous difference. However, they are really nice 2.5" shocks with remote resevoir and everything. But its smoother on a rough dirt road than mine is on normal pavement. A Cummins in a SD would be cool though. Why not buy a F650, they came with a isb and nv5600 for a while I believe.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 02:56 AM
Diesel Mafia #67

2500 dodge .. smooth ride.. ahahah mine isnt smooth its stiff..! with new shocks.. lol (ranchos)... Sweet looking truck I want the same truck but only 4x4..! Why WHO KNOWs.. just to say I have one I like the duallys, and I want a manual, hmmm makes a good sled puller combo.. Either that or a d-max.. :sofa

Jordan

95-dodge 2500 built to the hill... - sold to litle brother
03- stroker 6.0 studs and basic BS

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 03:01 AM

that is a good lookin truck just need to hit those headlights up with some flitz polish. they will look brand new not yellow.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 03:43 AM

Uhm aren't some 1 ton 2nd gen 2wd dodges solid axles? That could explain it if you don't like the way it rides. I'm pretty sure I've seen it on a 2002 before. Not sure how common it is.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 04:28 AM
Mafia member 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phily 911
Uhm aren't some 1 ton 2nd gen 2wd dodges solid axles? That could explain it if you don't like the way it rides. I'm pretty sure I've seen it on a 2002 before. Not sure how common it is.
I have seen this too! It was a Chassis cab. it is just a 4x4 front suspension with a straight non driven axle(just missing the pumpkin in the middle).

Current: '07.5 2500 QC/SB ETJ/68RFE, 4x4, Fabtech 6" lift, KMC XD "Diesel" 20x10 wheels, Pro Comp X all terrain 37x13.5R20 tires, BDog P Pup AFE, MegacannonII, H&S Gen 1 DPF Delete, EGR unplugged. Dynoed 361hp/677tq 20090220
SOLD!'03.5 3500 SRW QC Dynoed 2/11/06 457hp/1002tq
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 04:46 AM

Good, thanks, double thanks, I thought I was crazy, I saw it in a chassis cab too. I guess parts are hard to find for it. I had a medium size truck garage in the area call me, (whoa!), asking for brakes on the thing, I think it was brakes. I was like their last resort I guess.

I'd like to buy one because I can align those. I don't know how to align a regular IFS. Or I'm just no good at it. I've aligned Pusher Campers and F550's and stuff. But's that's as small as I've gotten. I like a truck that rides like its on square wheels, I get car sick pretty easy in smooth riding trucks.

EDIT: However I imagine, if you have a solid axle, and it's lowered, like it looks in the pic. Any of those would ride like crap. That's a rare thing, a solid axle, 2wd drive, 1ton, lowered. It'd probably be hard to get it to ride good.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

hccumminssmoke- the truck is a 2wd

sstockton- I considered the F650 before, but the price scared me away, BIG TIME! everyone that has them used are pricing them like gold, then the stealerships that have them want a tad south of $100k, if I do a swap I'd sell this truck and use the $$ to pickup a SD supercrew truck at an auction and swap things over.

Moose04- Those headlights are an eye sore, and also that front bumper how it sags a bit. I have to do something with them, I just have other priorities right this second (new couches, new tv, new interior paint in the house and possibly carpet)

Philly911- I don't have a solid axle up front, I assumed that all of the 2wd 3/4 and 1 ton Dodge's sit the way mine does, or am I totally off, I thought the front was kinda low since the first day I got it off the trailer but I wasn't too sure if it was just supposed to be like that.

'01, DRW, Cummins HO, 6spd, hrvp44, holley black, fbd 150hp injectors, edge juice w/ attitude, 4" magnaflow exhaust, Bullseye Power s362 turbo, BHAF, Valair Clutch
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 02:42 PM
Mafia member 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpsd
Philly911- I don't have a solid axle up front, I assumed that all of the 2wd 3/4 and 1 ton Dodge's sit the way mine does, or am I totally off, I thought the front was kinda low since the first day I got it off the trailer but I wasn't too sure if it was just supposed to be like that.
The pickups are all set up like yours with the IFS, it is the CC(cab/chassis) trucks that have the solid axle.

Philly-- I don't know why anyone would lower a CC, typically CC's are bought as work trucks and lowering it would be counter-productive. and the fact that it really couldn't be lowered much more than you can lower a 4wd due to clearance issues.

Current: '07.5 2500 QC/SB ETJ/68RFE, 4x4, Fabtech 6" lift, KMC XD "Diesel" 20x10 wheels, Pro Comp X all terrain 37x13.5R20 tires, BDog P Pup AFE, MegacannonII, H&S Gen 1 DPF Delete, EGR unplugged. Dynoed 361hp/677tq 20090220
SOLD!'03.5 3500 SRW QC Dynoed 2/11/06 457hp/1002tq

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode