Know anything about mechanical fuel pump. - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by stevenag03, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 1089 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

Know anything about mechanical fuel pump.

i have been researching aftermarket fuel systems and stumbled across Glacier Diesel's BOSS fuel system. this got me interested in the mechanical systems because the fp increases with rpm's. so i started searching for other similar alternatives. i have heard of the RASP and MITUSA pump systems, but i cant find them on google and forum searches dont give much information. are there other companies offering these types of systems.

what are the pros and cons to one of these systems. if i go with a mechanical system it will be an exterior one. meaning i will not change the cam to put a 12 valve pump on it.

EDIT: FYI i have a 2002 Ram 6spd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 04:09 AM

The only time the mitusa/mechanical pump doesn't supply fuel is on startup. On startup a valve is switched to use the factory fuel pump, then once it's started the mechanical pump kicks in. Yea, pretty much kicks butt from what I've heard. Real good for common rails. As the rpms increase, so does the fuel pressure. Anything above the desired pressure is sent back to the tank.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

the problem is i dont see any drawbacks to the theory. execution may be another story though as is price.

all that aside, anyone have any websites of companies offering this type of fuel system?
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2007, 06:29 AM

DTT sells the RASP kits. They are around $630 or so for the 24v trucks. I was and am a little skeptical about trying one, just because of all the mounting and plumbing issues, and the fact that you don't see a ton of them around makes me wonder how easy it will be to get customer service on them (not that everybody is pleased with FASS customer service which is the system that I ended up going with). I think the main reason I shyed away was because of lack of experience and information and knowledge about the pumps. Electronic pumps definitely have their fair share of problems. But since I've never dealt with one of these aftermarket fuel systems in person, I have no clue as to the quality or reliability of the system.

Anyways, here is a link to DTT's site. If you go this route, please let us know how it works out for you and what your thoughts about the system are.
http://www.dieseltrans.com/dodge/price_list.htm
Its down at the very bottom of the page.
On another note, that isn't that much more expensive than my FASS. I don't know if this system includes filters or not though.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode