High Idle & 3 Cylinder Idle - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Mopar1973Man, this thread has received 11 replies and been viewed 13564 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gen Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mopar1973Man
High Idle & 3 Cylinder Idle

Ok gang...

I found a new toy for the 2 Nd Gen trucks now... We all know that our Cummins engines don't like to be idle for long period of time. And hence why Dodge/Cummins came out with this TSB...

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2001/18-019-01.htm

But since there is several things that are required to trigger this high idle / 3 cylinder idle it make it kind of usless to someone in the southern states that doesn't see really cold temps.

But that is all gone now... I figured out a way to trigger the high idle & 3 cylinder idle and I can warm up my truck in about 3-5 mintues now.

REQUIREMENTS:
The TSB flash by a Dodge dealer or borrow a Smarty for a brief moment and run a program and reset to stock.

Now once you have the flash to enable high ilde and 3 cylinder idle then you can do this trick. Now I'm doing it rather crude right now but going to get the part to build this. Remove the connector to the IAT sensor. Take a resistor (Green, Blue, Orange, Gold) 65K Ohms and plug it in the connector of the wiring harness. This will make the ECM think that the IAT is seeing 13*F and trigger the high idle program.

Now it will idle for about 2 minutes before activaing the software. Then it will ramp up to 1,200 RPM. Then it will turn on the 3 cylinder idle. At this point if you have a exhaust brake turn it on. It will make the pyro rise all the way to about 800-850*F... Yes it will be warm!

This program will continue till the coolant reaches 175*F then the program is cancelled and normal idle continues.

I'm in the process of build this without cutting wires or making a wiring nightmare. So bare with me and I'll share my idea with you all...

Michael Nelson - 2002 Dodge Cummins & 1996 Dodge Ram 5.9L Gasser
116K Miles On My VP44 - 4 Years of 2 Cycle Oil Diet! - Mixed at 128:1 Ratio - 25.3 MPG maxed out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 07:48 PM

I live in virginia i dont think it gets cold enough for me to worry about any of this does it?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gen Guru
Threadstarter

Garage
Anyime you plan on idling for any length of time you should use a high idle option. This will protect your engine from getting to cold and getting the valves sticky.

Like myself I work for the local fire dept and sometimes my truck might sit and idle for several hours with the red beacon lights. So this will protect my engine from damage while I doing my job protecting lifes and property...

So this will keep the pyro temps way up for you... All in the cold mornings you don't have to wait long for the truck to warm up...:Thumbup:

116K Miles On My VP44 - 4 Years of 2 Cycle Oil Diet! - Mixed at 128:1 Ratio - 25.3 MPG maxed out!
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 11:12 PM

Is there any way to adjust it so that the 3 cyl. idle doesn't come on, and just the high idle does?
Also, will this have any effect on the grid heater cycling if it doesn't need to be, i.e. if your truck is sitting idling and it thinks its 13*f will the grid heater be cycling or does that go away once the truck reaches operating temp? Mine usually just goes off when I start driving.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 12:21 AM

I never idel for long, i have a good starter and 2 good bateries, also ill plug my truck up so that its nice and warm in the mornings when i go to work.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 12:40 AM

If the water temp stays at roughly 190 degrees while at a prolonged idle, is there a chance the temp inside the cylinders could still be getting too cold for safe operation or is it not an issue if the water temp is still that warm?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gen Guru
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstockton
Is there any way to adjust it so that the 3 cyl. idle doesn't come on, and just the high idle does?
Also, will this have any effect on the grid heater cycling if it doesn't need to be, i.e. if your truck is sitting idling and it thinks its 13*f will the grid heater be cycling or does that go away once the truck reaches operating temp? Mine usually just goes off when I start driving.
Sean
Ok...

Yes there is a way to adjust it so you get only high idle without 3 cylinder... Just use a smaller resistor that make the IAT temp about 30*F then you'll only get high idle. I was thinking about that and it would be easy to adapt a second switch and make a high/low setting so I would need 2 switches and two resistors (65K and ???)

The grid heaters still cycle as normal to aid in the cold start of the truck. Then after a period of time the cycling stops but the high idle continues.

Then once the coolant temp reaches 175*F it shutdown both high idle and 3 cylinder idle both and resumes normal idle...

If you touch the brake, start rolling, or put in in gear it cancels immediately...

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 06:21 AM

Grid heaters don't cycle normally on my truck with the resistor in place. They just stay on and don't turn off untill you start the truck, then they start cycling.

I think im gonna try to put mine on a switch.... you can never have too many of those.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 06:09 PM
Bouncer

Two things shut the grid heaters off. IAT of 58* and above or 15mph. Other than that they will continue to cycle.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gen Guru
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokeThisGoat
Grid heaters don't cycle normally on my truck with the resistor in place. They just stay on and don't turn off untill you start the truck, then they start cycling.

I think im gonna try to put mine on a switch.... you can never have too many of those.
Remember you can't leave the resistor in place while you drive... The IAT sensor controls the amount of fuel and timing for the engine. So I would highly suggest you remove the resistor after its done...

I'm trying to find the plugs for the IAT sensor so I can build a harness for it and use 2 switches to turn it off and on and select high idle or high idle 3 cyl...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode