winter front - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by bcmueller, this thread has received 16 replies and been viewed 1847 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Cummins POWER

winter front

does anyone know where i can buy a winter front i have been using cardboard but i have heard that this is bad so i need something soon. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 07:17 PM
Bouncer

Nothing wrong with using cardboard as long as it is not causing your engine to overheat. The two nice things about winter fronts is you can open and shut individual sections to allow more/less air flow and they look nicer than cardboard.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 12:23 AM

Do you have a local tarp or awning shop ? Ive had several custom made and they can make it open and mount to fit your needs .
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer
Nothing wrong with using cardboard as long as it is not causing your engine to overheat. The two nice things about winter fronts is you can open and shut individual sections to allow more/less air flow and they look nicer than cardboard.
That and..........did you see what "Diesel Power" claims on MPG after they damned up the front. They claim the hood acts as a parachute, so they damn up the front and got over 30 on a 1 ton! (August 2007)

I use cardboard AND I removed my fan, from both trucks. Although Before the summer I'm going to drop in Flex a Lite electric fans in my new one though so I get decent A/C. Speaking of which..........

Bouncer aren't you pretty good with the HVAC crap on these?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Cummins POWER
Threadstarter

they also did some other things to that 1 ton but yes it did get 30mpg. Ive been putting the cardboard between the intercooler and raidatior to still keep the intercooler and trans radiator cool would it be better to put the cardboard in front of all of this?

2002 Ram2500, auto, silencer ring, BHAF, ATS arc flow, 2'' top gunz leveling kit, 305/70/16 Firestone Destaion A/T's on Weld Evo's, straight piped, 2-stroke
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 02:30 PM

That's what I do to both of my trucks. I put it between the intercooler and raidatior to keep the intercooler.......cooler. I would ONLY put it in front of everything if you are completely damning up the front for aerodynamics. Someone might dog you claiming there is no difference in air flow between cardboard infront of the intercooler and in back, but if you mess around with a laser temperature thing; you'll find there is.

Since you're probably not hauling anything, I'd take off the fan too. The temps seem to stay more stable without the fan on.

EDIT: FYI: I have had my pieces of cardboard slide across the whole length of my radiator, completely covering up causing my temps to get alittle on the hot side. If you see that just let off the throttle and crank up the heat! They should drop right back down.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 02:59 PM

You can buy a nice winter front from Lund mfg. They make a few diff kinds. I use the black plastic one it fits in the grill easy to install and remove.
http://www.realtruck.com/productline...le_insert.html
Many different choices to choose from. White,black, stainless, I know one company makes a quilted front just like the big rigs. So make your choice and good luck.

2001 Dodge quadcab 4x4,Auto transmission,Fass 150/150 pump, Among other upgrades.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Cummins POWER
Threadstarter

what does taking off the fan consist of just those few bolts?

2002 Ram2500, auto, silencer ring, BHAF, ATS arc flow, 2'' top gunz leveling kit, 305/70/16 Firestone Destaion A/T's on Weld Evo's, straight piped, 2-stroke
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 07:21 PM

I also would like to know how hard it is to remove the fan? And for this work what do I gain? and should I put a Electric fan in it's place for those long up hill pulls or Hot summer days.

2001 Dodge quadcab 4x4,Auto transmission,Fass 150/150 pump, Among other upgrades.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmueller
what does taking off the fan consist of just those few bolts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by todt061458
I also would like to know how hard it is to remove the fan? And for this work what do I gain? and should I put a Electric fan in it's place for those long up hill pulls or Hot summer days.
It takes a large 36mm Wrench that will sqeeze in between the pulley nuts and the clutch. It's going to take alot of power to brake it lose so you might want to use heat and/or use air. They are RIGHT HAND threads aka REVERSE threads!!!! Don't use something cheap on there or you will around off the nut making it impossible to get off. Case in point my 98.5 I had to just torch it off. My 2002 was alot easier. I just bought this wrench off Ebay for 9 dollars. (FYI it's still being sold for that on Ebay). Then I milled out down so it would squeeze there. After breaking it lose, make sure you put some card board or something behind the radiator so you don't damage the fins of it when you get it all the way off. Take it out threw the top.

Here are pics of the wrench I milled down:

Another:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode