Bigger turbo? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by customdeluxe78, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 587 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
99 cummins

Bigger turbo?

Did dodge put a smaller turbo on the cummins in '01? A friend of mine told me this the other day and i wondered if its true. If it is, why? Another question I have is what kind of egt's can i expect if i add 120 hp injectors? The same guy said I wouldnt be able to go to the upper levels of my comp with bigger injectors and keep the egt's managable. I run in level 5 all the time now and never get above 1250. (never sustained) Also, how hard is comp box on the injector pump? Should I stay out of level 5 for normal driving?

99 cummins, 5-speed, edge comp, speedhut guages, fass 150 system, s&b cold air intake, ces two piece manifold, 5 inch straight exhaust with a 6 inch tip, 5 inch superlift, 4:10 gears, dynatrack lock in lock outs, 35x14.50 thornbirds on 16.5x12 mickey tompson classic 2's, alpine head unit, 1600 watt amp, 2 12 inch subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 03:45 AM

The turbo thing is kind of true. In 01 dodge switched to an hy35 on the automatic equipped trucks. The hy is junk in many peoples opinion and comes with a smaller ex. housing, 9 cm Vs. 12cm. It makes for quicker spool up, but results in higher EGT's, and ultimately in higher drive pressures too, especially when pushing higher boost levels.

As for the larger injectors, yes you can go larger, but it will be more smokey, and your egt's will get significantly higher. with 120hp sticks you can expect to see 1500-1600 degrees with ease. However, it shouldn't be that hard to control. Also keep in mind though, that you won't have the air to be producing the power that they are capable of. The hx35 is pretty much tapped out at 32psi boost, it just starts pushing hot air at that point, which doesn't increase power and just causes EGT's to climb even higher. You will also want to upgrade your clutch as well, it won't last very long with sticks added.

As for running the comp on level 5 all the time. Yes it holds the fuel solenoid open farther and for longer, which some people say is a bad thing, but however, what I've heard from reputable sources is, that if it is going to cause any damage, it will usually do it in about 20minutes of running it on stage 5.

If it were me, I would think about what the ultimate goal for the truck is. Also, what injectors were you planning on running? You would gain more from an injector with an enhanced spray pattern Vs. one that just dumps more fuel. If you you plan on doing a turbo in the future, getting the 120hp injectors would probably work for you. If you don't want to get into it that deep, stick to something a bit smaller. Personally I love my Rv275's(bosch 300's) they are an inexpensive injector that adds a bit of power, and gives you better milage (in some instances, mine included) also they don't require a core. With all that said, and how much I like them, I have 200hp injectors getting mailed out, but thats for use with the twins.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
99 cummins
Threadstarter

thanks for the info, i do plan on upgrading the turbo eventually, but i dont know when. i am also going to upgrade the clutch, i plan on waiting until mine slips, so far ive been lucky. its not the oringinal clutch, but i dont know how much hp it will handle. I'll look into those injectors, i havent really checked them out yet. as for the trucks lifes purpose it's mostly just a big toy, somthing nice to drive when i want to feel big power or show off. but i also pull trailers, and haul whatever needs hauled. im not afraid to use it! thanks again for the info.

99 cummins, 5-speed, edge comp, speedhut guages, fass 150 system, s&b cold air intake, ces two piece manifold, 5 inch straight exhaust with a 6 inch tip, 5 inch superlift, 4:10 gears, dynatrack lock in lock outs, 35x14.50 thornbirds on 16.5x12 mickey tompson classic 2's, alpine head unit, 1600 watt amp, 2 12 inch subs
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 12:46 AM
CENTRAL IOWA #1

i talked to a guy at tst about the hy 35 vs the hx 35 and he said that the hy is just as good as the hx and you won't se a temp change betwen them he said the hy is really larger than 9cm but the rate it that way because there is a divider in the housing

97 3500 dually 4x4 #5 tst plate, 5 inch stacks, lock up switch, auto meter gauges, silencer ring mia, intake, train horn

01 2500 4x4 Juice w/attitude, hot code, 6 inch stacks, super B turbo, intake, black holley lift pump, lock up switch, stage 5 jammer injectors, BD anti defueler, goerend trans, snow performance stage 3 water meth

Best 1/4 mile time 13.01 @ 104
Next Mods-Nitrous 200hp?????, Head studs, Bigger turbo
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 05:38 PM

An undivided turbine housing may flow equal to 0.10AR larger divided housing. Since the 9cm housing is undivided, it does not give up much flow over the divided 12cm. Also the HY35 wastegates all 6 cylinders vs only the back 3 on the HX35.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode