High Idle & High Idle Kicker... - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Mopar1973Man, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 6003 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gen Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mopar1973Man
High Idle & High Idle Kicker...

Here you go...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/tips/c.../high-idle.htm

And The TSB
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/tips/c...-18-019-01.htm

Operation

Cold Engine Start (Coolant <140F - Outside Temp > 32*F)
Turn on the IAT fooler and select normal high idle. Now start your engine. With in about 2 minutes the high idle should start. Once the high idle starts turn off the IAT fooler and allow the ECM to monitor the IAT temperatures. As the engine warms up to 170F it will cancel on its own and idle normally from that point on.

Cold Engine Start (Coolant <140F - Outside Temp < 32*F)
Turn on the IAT fooler and select 3 cylinder high idle. Now start your engine. With in about 2 minutes the high idle should start once it get to 1,200 PRM's the 3 cylinder mode with begin. Once the high idle starts turn off the IAT fooler and allow the ECM to monitor the IAT temperatures. As the engine warms up to 170F it will cancel on its own and idle normally from that point on.

Warm Engine Start (Coolant 140F-170F)
You can start the high software with a warm engine. At this point you need to use both the ECT fooler and IAT fooler. Select the proper high idle mode for your weather conditions as in cold start procedure. Once the high idle starts turn off the IAT & ECT foolers and allow the ECM to monitor both ECT & IAT temperatures. As the engine warms up to 170F it will cancel on its own and idle normally from that point on.

Forced High Idle
Turn on both ECT fooler and IAT fooler have it set for normal high idle. Start the engine and allow the high idle to start. Once the high idle starts turn off the IAT fooler but leave the ECT fooler on. This will allow a forced high idle that never ends. To cancel it just turn off the ECT fooler and it will cancel.
WARNING: In this mode of operation the ECT sensor is completely disabled. There is no way of monitoring engine temperatures. Becareful and alert to changes in the engine at this point. If you have a exhaust brake DO NOT activate it in this mode.

Enhanced Warm Up
If you have a exhaust brake you can use it will both 3 cylinder high idle and normal high idle. But be sure to turn off the ECT fooler when the high idle begins this will allow for normal cancellation. This will push the EGT temps up to about 800-850F and warm the engine rapidly in under 10 minutes you should have 170F of coolant temperature. Other Notes and Warnings...
  • DISCLAIMER: I'm NOT responsible for any damages to your vehicle from using this information.
  • WARNING: Do not activate any of the IAT or ECT foolers while driving the vehicle this will have a direct impact on performance and may case serve engine damages. Alway be sure that all foolers are turned off before moving the vehicle.
  • Once the high idle cycle has completed during this key cycle it is not possible to re-start high idle a second time on that key cycle. You must shut down the engine and restart to force a second high run. Now if you cancelled manually by tapping the throttle you can resume the high idle again by turning on the IAT and/or ECT foolers.
  • 3 Cylinder high idle is going to sound rather weird like the engine is falling apart this is totally normal. This mode of operation skips or shuts down 3 cylinders from getting a injection pulse. These 3 dead cylinders produce a load on the engine and cause it to warm up rapidly.
  • Even with both IAT and ECT foolers off the high idle software can start normally if the conditions require it as posted in the TSB by Dodge.

Michael Nelson - 2002 Dodge Cummins & 1996 Dodge Ram 5.9L Gasser
116K Miles On My VP44 - 4 Years of 2 Cycle Oil Diet! - Mixed at 128:1 Ratio - 25.3 MPG maxed out!

Last edited by Mopar1973Man; 12-24-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 01:45 AM

I'm kinda confused on this one. So Dodge has to flash the computer and then you have to set up the switches?

2004 Silverado 2500 LLY Duramax
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gen Guru
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboytw13 View Post
I'm kinda confused on this one. So Dodge has to flash the computer and then you have to set up the switches?
Either Dodge Dealer or Smarty Programmer to enable the software...

Then if you want full control over the high idle your going to need to build the switch other than that you need to wait for super cold wweather for the high idle to start...

High starts at 25*F outside (32*F in the manifold with grid heaters)

3 Cylinder high idle starts at 5*F outside (15*F in the manifold with grid heaters)

With the switches you have high idle anytime you want it...

116K Miles On My VP44 - 4 Years of 2 Cycle Oil Diet! - Mixed at 128:1 Ratio - 25.3 MPG maxed out!
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 02:32 PM

ok so the switches are just foolers so that the high idle comes on at warmer air temps. Got ya

2004 Silverado 2500 LLY Duramax
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gen Guru
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboytw13 View Post
ok so the switches are just foolers so that the high idle comes on at warmer air temps. Got ya
Yes Sir...

1. Switch fooler the ECM to seeing 123*F for coolant temp.

2. Switch select normal IAT or Fooled IAT.

3. Switch selects 26*F (high idle) at the IAT or 13*F (3 cylinder) at the IAT sensor.

So at 68*F morning and I want to warm up my truck I could kick switch #2 and start and wait for the high idle to start. Then flick the switch off and the software will automatically cancel when done (Coolant at 175*F).

Or...

Say I got a really cold day but I went into a store for about 30 minutes shopping and the engine cooled down. But the temp is still around 140*F. (That means the IAT is close to that). So I could flick switch 1 and 2 and wait for the software to start and flick both off again... It completes automatically...

Or...

Say I'm on a fire call to a vehicle accident. I need my beacon lights running for safety and maybe need to heat the cab for injured people keep them warm. I can flick switch 1 and 2 start the software and shut #2 off and leave 1 on. Then high idle holds forever!

Or...

Or if I want 3 cylinder high idle to warm up quickly... Kick switches 2 and 3 and then once the software start shut them down and the engine will return to normal idle when the coolant temp is at 175*F! (WARNING! - Make sure to turn off #1 so that the software can cancel.)

So much better than waiting and guess for the ECM to deside what it going to do... You can controll it completely!!!

Last edited by Mopar1973Man; 12-25-2008 at 02:44 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode