Keep blowin up master cylinders - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by bad_cummins, this thread has received 2 replies and been viewed 606 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

Keep blowin up master cylinders

Ok long story so bear with me. 5 months ago I installed a new south bend dual disc...the smaller 3250 with organic clutch faceings. The instructions said to take a shim from behind the pivot ball on the passenger side of the bell housing. Ok did that. Right away it was hard to shift....hard to get in any gear and was fairly grabby. Fast forward 2 months...nothing has improved with shifting and selecting a gear, and still slightly grabbier than I expected but not unbearable. Then it blew something up in either the master or slave cylinder (remember this is the smallest pressure plate and is supposed to have stock pedal feel.....it doesn't). I thought that it may have just been getting tired at 115k so I replaced it with the stock dodge part. Shifting and gear selection stayed the same. Ok about a week ago it blew up agian...this time it blew the seal up in the pressure line from master cylinder to slave cylinder. This time I replaced it with the upgraded part from PDR. Gear selection and such has not changed much but has improved slightly after I tweaked on it.

My question is has anybody had this problem after installing a dual disc as far as picking gears from a dead stop...I've heard that reverse is usually tough but all of my gears are that way. I surley can't afford to keep replacing parts at 200 something dollars a pop.

01 Qc Cummins 4x4 long box, edge attitude with juice (HOT!!), 4" exhaust, afe stage 2 intake, HTB2 62/12, banks intake pleum, bully dog big fuel kit, stage three jammers, southbend 3250 DD, BD Blow off valve. PDR master and slave cylinder upgrade. Sold

2006 mega cab 4x4 auto. Stock for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 06:28 AM

I think they recommend the HD hydraulics for the dual discs, but not sure :shrug: Should like it isn't disengaging the clutch all the way though.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Well they say you can run the stock setup with the dual disc that I have because the pressure plate is not very heavy. I also believe that the clutch is not disengaging all the way...could it have something to do with the shim under the pivot ball? I really don't wanna drop the tranny agian until I have a good reason too. I have talked to several people who have installed them....some removed the shim some didn't but none of them are having the trouble that I am.

01 Qc Cummins 4x4 long box, edge attitude with juice (HOT!!), 4" exhaust, afe stage 2 intake, HTB2 62/12, banks intake pleum, bully dog big fuel kit, stage three jammers, southbend 3250 DD, BD Blow off valve. PDR master and slave cylinder upgrade. Sold

2006 mega cab 4x4 auto. Stock for now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode