whats next - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by springer, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 557 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2007, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

whats next

I have an 01 Dodge cummins with edgeJ/A 100 hp inj. k/n intake and 5'' exhaust about 95,000 miles or so. I dont know if i'm getting used to it but it does not seem to be impressing me anymore. What do you guys think would be the next good mod to do. I was thinking about a turbo, but i'm not that up on those right now. What do i look for:shrug:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 04:47 PM

What do you have done to your fuel system? Cause that could probably use to be upgraded too or else you'll be starving the IP for fuel.

I would say bigger injectors and a charger. What do you use the truck for? You don't have a ton of fuel right now, so you wouldn't want to slap a big charger on there, cause it will be laggy. Also what trans/trans mods do you have?
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I have a 5 Gear with a luk clutch that is brand new. I also just had the 5th gear problem taken care of. I use the truck for a D/D mostly but i tow a K5 blazer I use for rock crawling and stuff(check it out its going to be on the Febuary cover of Fourwheeler mag : )I also tow a 21foot boat. I do have an external fuel pump from BD right now. It holds about 17 to 20 pounds at idle, but it will drop to about 3 when i have the programer5x5. it has a set of injectors right now they were in the truck when I bought it. The guy I bought it off of said they were Bully dog 100hp. I noticed today that it doesnt seem to be smokin as much as it did. The temp has changed here,its about 30 degrees today. Does temp change things on a diesel like a gasser?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 10:50 PM

Colder temps make the air more dense so you have a higher ratio of oxygen to volume of air. However, usually the heat created by the turbo takes care of that pretty quick and you're back up to normal. 30 degrees would probably be almost negligible.

If you're dropping to 3psi, you need to get that taken care of right away. 2 things are happening. A) you're weakening your injection pump B) You're starving for fuel, which is probably why your seeing less smoke and have lower power. It could also be that your filter is clogged, but you shouldn't be drawing it down from 17 to 3, thats not good.

As for the blazer, whats it got? My cousin is big in to k5's. I've got a toyota I'm building myself, but I'm kind of familiar with K5's because of him. His is a work in progress but should be pretty cool when its done. '82 6.2L diesel w/SM465, full convertible convertion out of a '74. And its going to end up with a custom turbo kit, and 40's or something of that nature, on 1 tons. Thats cool yours is making it onto the cover of a mag. though.
Sean

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I put a new filter in it and see what that does. As for the K5 its got a built small block I switched it to an auto 350t and a 205 t-case which is twin sticked. 63'' springs in the rear and 52's up front dana 60 front locked, 14bff rear locked both have 5.38 gears. on board welder and air. 39.5 Iroks on 16.5 wheels which I used rims screws for beadlocks, hydro assit steering. a bunch of little **** like diff covers and shaved 14 bolt rear disc conversion. mostly everything is homemade I figure if someone else can build it, I can too. Mine is a work in progress also. Good luck with your yota. Does any one make a compressor wheel upgrade for the stock turbo. I see them for fords but cant find them for dodge. Are they worth the money, what do they actually do.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 05:40 AM

You can buy an upgraded comp wheel set up. They are pretty sweet for the dodge, but still don't flow a ton of air. With how prevalent bigger turbos are most people don't go that route. However, if you're only going to be running 100hp injectors and a box, it would probably be a nice set up. A lot of guys also buy the turbo already with the bigger comp wheel on it. Its a 35/40 hybrid. Essentially it uses an hx40 wheel and housing, but a little modification is required for it to work with your stock charger, or you can run a different exhaust housing as well. It will give you a bit more air without drastically reducing spool up.

http://www.htturbo.com/cu.htm

Thats a link to them.
Sean

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 04:44 PM
99 cummins

I'll keep an eye out for your blazer on 4wor mag! I have a 78 k20 with 1 tons, 4.56's, rear locker, 10" suspension lift, 350, sm465, np 205, and 38" boggers, engine has a few goodies (it will almost keep up with the dodge). So the K5 is right up my alley! Congrats on the cover page!

99 cummins, 5-speed, edge comp, speedhut guages, fass 150 system, s&b cold air intake, ces two piece manifold, 5 inch straight exhaust with a 6 inch tip, 5 inch superlift, 4:10 gears, dynatrack lock in lock outs, 35x14.50 thornbirds on 16.5x12 mickey tompson classic 2's, alpine head unit, 1600 watt amp, 2 12 inch subs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode