Tranny is shifting weird, any thoughts? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by sstockton, this thread has received 12 replies and been viewed 1215 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Tranny is shifting weird, any thoughts?

Okay, so I was drove about 35miles this evening and when I was parking at my moms house, my truck shifted fine and firm into reverse and then it felt soft when I put it back in drive. I parked, let the truck sit for about 4hours, and went for a little drive to grab some food. When I got in, it shifted fine and felt firm. I made it about 5miles, and leaving a stop sign, the truck felt like it was still in 3rd, like it had gone into limp mode, so I got up to speed, and it kicked into O/D just fine, and down shifted out, when I used the O/D off switch. Coming to the next sign I tried manual downshifting my trans, 2nd gear no shift at around 5mph it still hadn't shifted into first so I tried to do it manually and the tires locked up. I put the truck in neutral and shifted it into drive and the shift felt soft again. It still felt firm going into Reverse though. I pulled it all the way back to 1st and nothing, it didn't feel like it engaged at all. I took my foot off the brake, let it roll forward and it locked up and held itself as if it were in park.

I turned the truck off and back on, and it worked fine, only to repeat the pattern 2 miles down the road. If I shut it off, it goes back to normal for a while, even if I take it all the way up into third, it will still shift back out, then it just decides it doesn't want to. As a result my trans temp is now getting quite hot around town because its doing this.

Anybody have any ideas? Sticking valve in the valvebody? Fluid level is fine, the fluid and filter are brand new as of 2 days ago, and have 150miles on them. I'll be calling DTT first thing on monday to see what we can figure out. I'm getting kind of tired of this though.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I had forgotten to check codes, but just ran out and looked and I'm pulling a P1763 Gov. pressure sensor voltage too high.
So does that mean that My gov. pressure is too high and telling my PCM to go into limp mode, or is the voltage running to the sensor too high?
Sean

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 06:34 AM

I was pulling a P1763 on my 98.5. It was the governer pressure being set too high. So I just took off some governer pressure and it fixed the problem. You need like 1 PSI of gov pressure for every MPH.

I'm guessing you have the same problem. Your sensors are probably fine. That's been the case on all the trucks I've worked on that have had this problem. It seems like every shift kit I put in runs into that problem.

That's why I've been on a mission trying to figure out how to get the computer to think it's not getting as much gov. pressure.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 06:46 AM

This file is the closest I've gotten. Their might be a transducer you can buy to correct this problem too. I would almost recommend trying to fix it electronicly so you get that added pressure. I've tried farting around with a variable resistors on varies wires coming out of the tranny with no luck. If you figure it out how to fix it losing your pressure. Let me be the first to know.

Just out of curiosity put a guage on your governer port and tell me what it reads.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dodge_VBA.pdf (35.0 KB, 38 views)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phily 911
Just out of curiosity put a guage on your governer port and tell me what it reads.
I tried putting a gauge on it earlier, after switching the electronics over, but I couldn't get it to read. It was a brand new gauge too. Any tips on bleeding them? I'm assuming that that is what my problem was.

Also, how do I adjust my gov. pressure? Thanks.
Sean

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 04:20 PM

to do the gov pressure you have to put a resistor inline to make it read differently. Or you can actually reduce the line pressure on the side of the valve body if it is over where it should be.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstockton
I tried putting a gauge on it earlier, after switching the electronics over, but I couldn't get it to read. It was a brand new gauge too. Any tips on bleeding them? I'm assuming that that is what my problem was.

Also, how do I adjust my gov. pressure? Thanks.
Sean
On the drivers side of your v/b there is a hex screw, you'll need a allen wrench cut down to fit in there. Shouldn't need bleed. I'll scan you a pick of a transmission that points it out where you need to tap into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokeThisGoat
to do the gov pressure you have to put a resistor inline to make it read differently.
It wasn't that easy last time I tried, which I'm sure Sean is about to find out.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

When I talked to the guys at DTT they told me the port on the rear of the trans on the passenger side facing out sideways. There are two back there, and its the higher one. My gauge wouldn't even register, so I figured that there was air in the line getting compressed and not allowing it to read. I'll try again though.

Is it possible that it is too low and that is my problem? Hence it not reading. but you'd think it would come up at some point even if it was low. Maybe I got a bad gauge. I'll give it a try again and see where that gets me.
Sean

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phily 911
I'll scan you a pick of a transmission that points it out where you need to tap into.
This is a 48RE but you'll get the picture.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2007, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Yup, thats the one I'm using, but I'm not getting any reading. So I don't know whats up. Maybe my gauge is broken or something, but I can't get it to give me a reading.
Any suggestions?
Sean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode