steering problems - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by STROKER SMOKER, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 785 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Angry steering problems

Hey guys I have an issue and I hope somebody can help. Ive got an 01 with a 4 inch lift and 36's. When I first lifted the truck it drove fine but over the last year it has just got progressivly worse. I first started by putting on a track bar drop bracket, a new track bar(twice now), and a drop pitman arm. When that didnt work I put dual steering stabilizers, and all new tie rod ends and ball joints but it still drives like crap. Ive got an 84 chevy on 44's that drives ten times better than my cummins and that shouldent be but it is, no lie. I was hoping somebody else has had this problem and can give me some help. The problems has gotten so bad that I have been drivin my chevrolet every day for the last 2 weeks because I cant stand drivin my dodge. Somebody please help?:shrug:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 01:46 AM

What exactly is it doing?
is it shaking or pulling bad or bouncing or what

Have you had it aligned?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
ya Ive had it aligned twice now. It just has alot of play in the wheel. I can turn the wheel about 6 to 8 inches each way and the tires dont even move. twice now I have almost hit the car next to me because if I hit a little bump or hole the truck shots clean across the lane. I know this is to be expected a little with big tires but this is a lot worse than normal. Like I said my 84 chevrolet drives better.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 01:34 PM
2nd Gen Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mopar1973Man
Sounds like the sector adjustment in the gear box is lose... There is a allen screw with a jam nut on the steering box. Lossen the jam nut and turn the allen screw in the tighten direction. Do this slowly and you notice the steering slop gets less and less. Now don't over do it... If you go to far it will bind up the gear and cause damage possibly...

Michael Nelson - 2002 Dodge Cummins & 1996 Dodge Ram 5.9L Gasser
116K Miles On My VP44 - 4 Years of 2 Cycle Oil Diet! - Mixed at 128:1 Ratio - 25.3 MPG maxed out!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 06:31 AM

Mopar man do u have a diagram for the removal of the silencer ring? or some step by step directions of how to remove it? Thank you
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 02:00 AM

MoparMan, is the sector adjustment screw located on the top of the steering box? My truck has some play in the steering wheel as well and I was just wondering if this might help.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 03:34 PM
2nd Gen Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mopar1973Man
This will take up the slack between the steering wheel and the steering box... Nothing more... If there is slop in steering linkage, tierods, etc... It will not help you...

Michael Nelson - 2002 Dodge Cummins & 1996 Dodge Ram 5.9L Gasser
116K Miles On My VP44 - 4 Years of 2 Cycle Oil Diet! - Mixed at 128:1 Ratio - 25.3 MPG maxed out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode