Why does it howl and not steer when braking? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Canyon JYD, this thread has received 22 replies and been viewed 1652 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Formerly NATTYGASMECH

Why does it howl and not steer when braking?

Separate issues. First I am curious why the 01's howl. Mine is a dually and my friends is a single. They both howl at low speed turns. Second is the issue of turning the wheel when the brakes are applied. Let me say this is a real bother when you have a trailer you need to hook up or back up. It only happens when you are at a complete stop and trying to turn. As soon as you let off the brakes it turns. Oh and they are both 4x4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 11:43 PM

Don't really know what howl you are talking about, so I'll just try to answer the other question.

The power brakes on these trucks use a hydro boost system as opposed to the vacuum boost system on older trucks. The easiest way to get pressurized fluid to the hydro booster, to assist in braking, is to steal it from the power steering pump. If you fluid level is low, or your pump isn't operating as it should, you will have trouble with this. Once you are rolling, the wheels don't need to turn nearly as far to make most the turns you want to. So check your power steering fluid and see how that is. Anyways, the systems are tied together and that is why that happens.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
Threadstarter

Thanks for the response Sean. I am familliar with the hydroboost system principals from my 90' GMC dually. I never had this problem before. I will check the fluid level. I haven't checked it in a couple of fill ups. The howl is just a hydraulic whine from lines or the pump. It has been howling since I bought it. It just started the brake thing. I believe my buddy has changed his pump already. I need check. I haven't heard it from outside, only inside so I'm not sure if it really is coming from the pump.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 04:53 AM

The Hydoboosts on these like howl when they are really cold. I know you didn't mention that, and it's probably not the case. But when you start it below -10 to -20 they will howl most of the time unless you use sythetic.

Do you know if it's the same kind of howl, if so, it might lead you toward your answer if you talk to someone that knows alot about these.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
Threadstarter

No Philly it is not the temperature. IT has done it before the cold started. Do you know of any filters or other items that may form a restriction if not maintained regularly on Dodges? I have not been able to ask this guy if his pump has been changed or not. I kindof leaning toward fluid exchange, flush. At least see what happens. Not sure what the fluid is in there. I ran tranny fluid in my GMC hydro. Worked out very well.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 02:33 PM

Can't use that fluid in these, you need a certain Mopar spec. Can't tell ya off the top of my head.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 06:06 PM

I use Valvoline SynPower , Power steering fluid. It got rid of the howl and it never came back. FYI. It has a conditioner in it and can be bought at walmart. K Mart etc. The way I wrote it kinda makes it sound like hair shampoo.

2001 Dodge quadcab 4x4,Auto transmission,Fass 150/150 pump, Among other upgrades.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Formerly NATTYGASMECH
Threadstarter

So how long has it been since you did this?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 08:05 AM

Ok, now I know the howl/whine you're talking about. Yeah mine does that too. I'm trying to remember if it does it when braking, or just when turning. I'll have to compare against my buddy's 01. I know the steering gearbox has some flex in it and tends to twist a little when you turn the wheels, eventually damaging the sector shaft. He has a brace to eliminate that, so I'd like to see if that makes a difference. However, if you say the fluid changed the sound, that kind of shoots down my ideas.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 10:37 PM

Yes the fluid changed the sound. My Mech sad it has something to do with the cold fluid getting thicker. Than the pump has to pump harder and the thicker fluid makes the unit howl or scream like my ex when the check is late.:cry:

2001 Dodge quadcab 4x4,Auto transmission,Fass 150/150 pump, Among other upgrades.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode