Hard starts - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Murray689, this thread has received 10 replies and been viewed 1290 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hard starts

Looks like I mat have spoke to soon about my truck running fine with the new Fass fuel pump. I have had it in for about 3 weeks now and I am now having trouble getting the engine to start. The truck seems to start up fine on the first try then right after it starts it lobes a couple of times then shuts off. After that I just hit the starter for a while then stop hit the starter for a while the stop and so on until it starts, 3 time now this has worked. I just tried taking the inline fuse out of the fuel pump thinking this would relieve the high pressure at start-up and the truck would fire right up. But that was not the case so I put the fuse back in and just kept trying the starter til it finally starts. Once it starts the truck runs fine.Is this a for sure sign that my injection pump is bad? Also is there any reparing the pump or is my only option a new one.

2001 Dodge ram 2500 auto 4x4 cummins. 4.10 gears, 285 tires. Superchip, CFM+ intake, K&N air filter, 4" exaust. Issopro fuel pressure gauge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 02:28 AM

Not sure I know exactly what your saying so bear with me while I attempt:

Is there a possiblity you have air in your lines or somehow you have are letting air bleed in from somewhere.

Your fuel pump has a 50% duty cycle on start up. And even when the pumps go bad I'm not sure they do what your saying. I could be wrong.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 04:07 PM

Just a quick thought. as said in the above post check all fittings for snugness. so as to eliminate all possibility of air in the system. do any codes appear on the odometer when you check it? check for water in your fuel. also check for fuel gelling in the new pump filters. try a additive I like two cycle oil and sometimes a little powerserve or FPPF winter blend. are you using a bio blend of fuel? it gells alot sooner than reg #2 diesel. just something to ponder. Tod

2001 Dodge quadcab 4x4,Auto transmission,Fass 150/150 pump, Among other upgrades.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 04:12 PM

If the VP44 pump is bad you should replace it. i have never read or heard of anyone other than a bosch shop rebuilding one . But stranger things have happened.:Thumbup:

2001 Dodge quadcab 4x4,Auto transmission,Fass 150/150 pump, Among other upgrades.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 06:14 PM

this could be your excuse to get a hot-rodded vp...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray689
Looks like I mat have spoke to soon about my truck running fine with the new Fass fuel pump. I have had it in for about 3 weeks now and I am now having trouble getting the engine to start. The truck seems to start up fine on the first try then right after it starts it lobes a couple of times then shuts off. After that I just hit the starter for a while then stop hit the starter for a while the stop and so on until it starts, 3 time now this has worked. I just tried taking the inline fuse out of the fuel pump thinking this would relieve the high pressure at start-up and the truck would fire right up. But that was not the case so I put the fuse back in and just kept trying the starter til it finally starts. Once it starts the truck runs fine.Is this a for sure sign that my injection pump is bad? Also is there any reparing the pump or is my only option a new one.
Any updates?

As hard as he's saying it's starting. And not doing anything I can't see it being the VP44. It seems when the VP44's are going out they do mildy hard starts, low power, dead throttle, idle power at start up, misfire, etc.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Hard start- More info

Ok, sorry for the delay. I do have some more info. Checked to see if any codes were showing and there are none. I noticed that this issue started when the truck was at 1/4 tank of fuel and seem to get harded to start everytime I shut it off, but like I said it ran fine once it starts. So I went to the gas station and filled the truck up and it is starting fine now. So the only thing I can think of now is that maybe it is a problem in mounting the pump to high or to low causing the intake line on the pump to drain back down into the tank when the fuel gets to a certian level creating an air pocket in the line.I mounted the pump on the underside of the bed frame like the instructions showed. I installed the larger pick-up tube in the tank, but I am positive that it was low enough (about an 1/8 to 3/16 from the bottom). So now I am just wait to run the fuel level down again ad see if the problem starts again, and then maybe call fass and see what they say.

2001 Dodge ram 2500 auto 4x4 cummins. 4.10 gears, 285 tires. Superchip, CFM+ intake, K&N air filter, 4" exaust. Issopro fuel pressure gauge.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 02:31 AM
2nd Gen Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mopar1973Man
Ahh...

Dodge Fuel pickups have had problems in the pass to getting air leaks in the tank. The tubing will get holes and suck air in...

Do a pump test...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002%2...ift%20pump.htm

During the test look for air bubbles... If you have air bubbles you going to have to find the source of the air leak...

Michael Nelson - 2002 Dodge Cummins & 1996 Dodge Ram 5.9L Gasser
116K Miles On My VP44 - 4 Years of 2 Cycle Oil Diet! - Mixed at 128:1 Ratio - 25.3 MPG maxed out!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Yes I do believe that it is an air issue from the inside of the tank but I just dont understand how its getting in the line. All the fuel lines are new and the new pick-up tube I installed in the tank is new from fass. The pick-up is a steel pipe about 3/8 in size with a thick wall. And like I said the tube is about 1/8 to 3/16 from the bottom. The tanks hold I believe 32 gallons so at a 1/4 tank when the hard starts begin there should still be plenty of fuel in the tank tube keep the pick-up submerged. That why I was leaning to the idea that maybe my fuel pump was mounted possible to high causing the fuel to drain out of the intake side of the pump causing air air pocket in the line once the tank gets to a certian level. If that is even possible?

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 09:02 PM
2nd Gen Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mopar1973Man
I doubt it...

You setup is like taking a straw in a drinking glass and filling the straw with water and capping the end with you finger... The water will stay in the straw as long as there is no air leak around.

So it means there is a drain back issue or a air leak...

I would pressurize the fuel tank with 2-3 psi at the most and start looking for leaks...

Michael Nelson - 2002 Dodge Cummins & 1996 Dodge Ram 5.9L Gasser
116K Miles On My VP44 - 4 Years of 2 Cycle Oil Diet! - Mixed at 128:1 Ratio - 25.3 MPG maxed out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode