after a lot of money the truck still ain't right - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Grannygear, this thread has received 19 replies and been viewed 1173 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

after a lot of money the truck still ain't right

Well, here is the issue. to refresh some memories, i have a 2001 HO 6-speed with 68500. added exhaust and intake before adding a quadzilla exillerater xzt+ (timing and fuel).a week after the module install truck started to vibrate more and started hearing x-tra noise. unpluged module and still vibrated and the engine still didn't seem as smooth. to date i have adjusted valves, installed airdog fuel system, installed new 40 hp injectors, installed new vp44 from blue chip. after the new vp44 install with the module plugged in but on stock setting, the truck seemed a lot smoother. then put the module on level 3 (which is only 70 hp) and drove for awhile and the vibrating came back and the x-tra noise. at 2000 rpm on the highway it has good power but its not smooth, its like there is one odd spot that you can hear, but the power is pretty good. you can feel the vibration in the shifter. i am at the end of my rope with this and my budget some one PLEASE help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 12:06 AM

I'm not trying to start a fight, but if your truck isn't running right. I wouldn't keep throwing more high performance parts at it.

I know it seems we've been saying this to alot of people with problems. But electronic problems plague these. Unfortantly most of us will have a tough time pin pointing what your viberation is like. I'd try to get a good diagonostic tool and see if a cylinder cutout test helps pin point if it's a firing problem in a cylinder.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

the intake and exhaust were on way before this problem, the problem started after the module install. the airdog was due to finding out my lift pump was bad, the injectors cause i thought maybe i had a bad one, got them tested and they had low presures. after the new injectors didn't fix it i did an injector cutout test and didn't seem to notice a big difference in any single cylinder. then talked to chip fisher and he said the vp could be bad. the power seems good but i still hear an odd knocking sound. is there anything else that could make a knocking thats not related to the fuel system other thab the obvious bottom end. the knock is not loud enough to be a rod knock and oil pressure hasn't changed. and why would a mild 70 hp module create a problem.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 01:59 PM
2nd Gen Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mopar1973Man
You might want to verify the oil pressure with another gauge hooked up to the filter housing. There should be a plug for testing there...

You might have the oil tested and see if anything is HIGH leveled...

Any error codes???

Michael Nelson - 2002 Dodge Cummins & 1996 Dodge Ram 5.9L Gasser
116K Miles On My VP44 - 4 Years of 2 Cycle Oil Diet! - Mixed at 128:1 Ratio - 25.3 MPG maxed out!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 01:55 AM

Might want to pull the fan and get a close look at the vibration dampner.

With a 45 deg elbow the mechanical gage will fit nice and stay. Looks good on the oil filter casting.

keydl

93 Dodge /CTD, IC, 518, club cab LE, BHAF, KDP fixed, kelderman air ride
81 Isuzu /C223na, 5spd
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 02:07 AM
2nd Gen Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mopar1973Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by keydl
Might want to pull the fan and get a close look at the vibration dampner.

With a 45 deg elbow the mechanical gage will fit nice and stay. Looks good on the oil filter casting.

keydl
Thanks Keydl... I forgot about that too...

Here is the damper inspection process...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002%2...per/damper.htm

I wish... on the pressure gauge...

My Frantz Filter is hooked there... (Darn...)

Michael Nelson - 2002 Dodge Cummins & 1996 Dodge Ram 5.9L Gasser
116K Miles On My VP44 - 4 Years of 2 Cycle Oil Diet! - Mixed at 128:1 Ratio - 25.3 MPG maxed out!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 04:18 AM

Could it be something to do with the rest of your drive train i.e. u-joints, carrier bearing, rear end? i'm not sure if these would cause the same problems you are having i'm just throwin them out there. Or are you sure it is the engine.

2000 CTD, HOT Juice w/Attitude, Smarty, Mach 2 injectors (105 HP), 4" exhaust, BHAF, SB Clutch, FASS 150 ARP 12mm studs, stage 3 snow kit.

2008 f350/96 cummins in the works.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 05:14 AM

So its still there with the module turned off or unplugged? Is it a speed issue or an RPM issue? Harmonic frequencies with spinning things can cause all kinds of weird vibration that comes and goes depending on how fast it is spinning. If its a speed thing, I would guess drive shafts out of balance or something like that. If its an RPM thing I would guess clutch or fly wheel. My friend had a similar issue with his 01 auto and an edge. anything stage 2 or above would vibrate when a load was put on it, that turned out to be the drive shaft. My stock converter used to vibrate terribly when going into lock up because of a warp front cover. With the added power you are throwing at it, a worn out clutch or flywheel wouldn't surprise me at all. Could also be something inside the trans, but that seems far less likely.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

wow thanks for all the replys.i can hear this odd knocking just sitting idleing. it goes with rpm, the higher the rpms the quicker the knocking, now its not very loud but i can hear it. it never had that before. the vibration i feel in the stick is less with the module disconnected. when on high the stick vibrates alot more. now after the new vp44 was on i drove with it on high. the power was insain, but the knocking was still there. the power was for the first time splipping the clutch. in 3rd or 4th gear i'd mat the thing and r's would go up higher than normal then come down and the truck would accelerate faster when the r;s come down. could a going bad clutch make this knocking , why is this vibration worse when module on high, if the clutch could do this this would make sense that the extra power made the clutch weeker.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 09:53 PM

My guess is if the clutch is bad or flywheel warped or something, the higher power putting more of a load on it would cause the vibration to be worse.

2000 Ford F250 ext cab 4x4 6 spd. PHP tuned, Glow shift gauges ( fuel, egt, boost), B and W turnover ball, Tymar intake, 5 inch mbrp exhaust w/ 6 inch tip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode