Bhaf concerns - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by iwannagofast, this thread has received 13 replies and been viewed 1794 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Bhaf concerns

I purchased a bhaf today ($78 with my discount $125 without). I replaced a K&N that was about half the size and the same shape, it was designed exactly the same. The egts went down some but are still higher than I would like to see at Wot.

The thing that concerns me is that the turbo whistle is pretty much gone, before I could hear it and it was extremely loud at all rpms, now I can barely hear it except when I'm on the pedal really hard. If the bhaf flows better shouldn't I be able to hear the turbo more? :shrug:

99 2500 dodge cummins, HTS auto trans, quadzilla/edge ez, edge stage 2 nozzles, HX40,special X pump, big line kit, custom dual filter intake, custom exhaust, holley blue, adjustable boost elbow, new intercooler boots, t/c lock up switch, suncoast t/c, leveling kit, new 285 bfg's, all the gauges. New TPS

SINGLES CLUB MEMBER #44
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannagofast
I purchased a bhaf today ($78 with my discount $125 without). I replaced a K&N that was about half the size and the same shape, it was designed exactly the same. The egts went down some but are still higher than I would like to see at Wot.

The thing that concerns me is that the turbo whistle is pretty much gone, before I could hear it and it was extremely loud at all rpms, now I can barely hear it except when I'm on the pedal really hard. If the bhaf flows better shouldn't I be able to hear the turbo more? :shrug:
The material on the BHAF just probably deadins sound alot more than the material in the K&N.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 05:05 AM
I like beer.

Send a message via AIM to NukleusX Send a message via Yahoo to NukleusX
I actually just went from an AMSoil 4510 (lifetime filter, cleanable, non oil) to a BHAF, as my dumb ***** mounted it and the bolts that held the original airbox on punctured it. Buddy had a BHAF lyin around and gave it to me (yeah, my friends rock). I would recommend the AMSoil 4510, it whistles like MAD. I lost some whistle to the BHAF as well, though I would rather have something that filters than something that has risk (due to my moronic damage) of sucking crap into the turbo/engine.

Once I have some money to spend I am going to get myself an Icebox intake, that utilizes an enslosure that houses an AMSoil 4510, the filter I was running for a long while, and have come to really really like.

Jeremy
94 Ram 2500 4x4 RCLB.
Power: BHAF, 4" exhaust, S300G, 15.5*, 100 plate, 90 hp sticks, 191 dvs, Mike L. trans. more when i remember.
Appearance: 1 pc headlights, HIDs, 4.5" lift, flippy mirrors (up), not so chrome 6" silverline exhaust tip, not so fancy aftermarket wheels
American Club #33
Singles Club #74
TDG Mafia #111

http://www.socaldieseltrucks.com
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 03:11 PM
2nd Gen Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mopar1973Man
Here you go...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002%2.../bhaf/bhaf.htm

But as for the icebox idea... Its not going to net you anything big for temps. I've been studying the IAT temp with my BHAF..

At startup the coolant, IAT and outside temps are the same... But as coolant temp rises the IAT rises too. Then to make it interesting the IAT will climb if your coasting or using a jake. Then the only time the IAT temp falls is under boost pressure. The rest of the time the heat from the head will warm the air up. The average offset is about +50*F over outside temps regardless...

Michael Nelson - 2002 Dodge Cummins & 1996 Dodge Ram 5.9L Gasser
116K Miles On My VP44 - 4 Years of 2 Cycle Oil Diet! - Mixed at 128:1 Ratio - 25.3 MPG maxed out!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 04:48 PM

You can take the CAT part number off of their. They quit offering them. That's what the local CAT dealer said at least.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I also tried to find the fram, called autozone and they said that they can't get it or cross ref it to anything.

99 2500 dodge cummins, HTS auto trans, quadzilla/edge ez, edge stage 2 nozzles, HX40,special X pump, big line kit, custom dual filter intake, custom exhaust, holley blue, adjustable boost elbow, new intercooler boots, t/c lock up switch, suncoast t/c, leveling kit, new 285 bfg's, all the gauges. New TPS

SINGLES CLUB MEMBER #44
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 06:19 PM
I like beer.

Send a message via AIM to NukleusX Send a message via Yahoo to NukleusX
Good info as always Mike, I think I remember you mentioning what you said here somewhere else in the past- :Thumbup:

Jeremy
94 Ram 2500 4x4 RCLB.
Power: BHAF, 4" exhaust, S300G, 15.5*, 100 plate, 90 hp sticks, 191 dvs, Mike L. trans. more when i remember.
Appearance: 1 pc headlights, HIDs, 4.5" lift, flippy mirrors (up), not so chrome 6" silverline exhaust tip, not so fancy aftermarket wheels
American Club #33
Singles Club #74
TDG Mafia #111

http://www.socaldieseltrucks.com
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
I also tried to find the fram, called autozone and they said that they can't get it or cross ref it to anything.
Skip Advanced Auto and espcially Autozone :splat

Just go to Napa.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

It would have taken 2 days for napa to get one in, I went to Fisher auto and got a Hastings AF1012.

Why stay away from Advance and Autozone?

SINGLES CLUB MEMBER #44
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Why stay away from Advance and Autozone?
Odd ball stuff they might be able to get...............your wasting your time. The some stuff they carry right in the store ain't bad. But going beyond that, well your asking alot of a employee that could be working for free.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode