boost between twins? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Grannygear, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 519 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

boost between twins?

i have two questions out of curiosity. with twins, do you have two boost gauges? can you measure the boost between them? if so what is it or should it be?

also, does anyone have or know who does any pics of a clutch gone bad. i have been hearing that it is common for the center hub and springs to get messed up. as some of you may remember i think my clutch is failing and was just wondering what one looked like.

thanks
jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

why didn't my profile pic show up?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 11:20 PM

as for the twins, i've never seen it monitored, I don't think it's a huge concern, the smaller turbo will pump what it will, the boost on the big one is the one that when it maxes out you're just pumping hot air

as for the clutch, if it's slipping you know it's dead, but I don't know if you can hurt something by runnin a clutch that's f'ed up so wai for someone else to reply who knows

as for the pic, are you talking about your avatar? if so go to the side menu, edit options, on the left should be edit your avatar, and hit browse and upload your picture
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

thanks, i got the avatar to work.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 05:48 AM

The boost pressure between the turbos varies with the turbos, but to get the pressure you see in the manifold you add the pressure in the outlets of the turbos. for example for 60psi you might see 30psi between the turbos, and 60psi out of the smaller turbo meaning it is adding another 30psi.

A lot of times the bottom turbo is so large that it is not wastegated so it just does its thing, and you set the top turbo to open when it is in the middle of its efficiency range. If both are gated you set the bottom the same way.

If they are both gated, using two gauges is a good way to set them up and dial them in. But if they aren't then the gauge would only diagnose a problem like a boost leak.

If the clutch is slipping it will slip before it does any damage to anything else. Its when the clutch holds more than the components can is when you have problems, which is rare because the components are tested to hold the rated power.

Thats just my :2cents though, I could be wrong

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode