Shuddering - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by springer, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 605 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Shuddering

I dont know how to explain this, but when I'm towing and its only a 7x14 foot box trailer and it can be empty, I get a shuddering. If I'm running down the highway and I start to go up a hill it will do this. I thought it was the clutch slipping but I replaced it. I didnt go with the best clutch but it is brand new. This problem is there even with the juice on stock. I have tried it with the cruise on even and it still does it. My truck hops real bad if I'm spinning in mud or somthing. This problem fells somthing like that but not as bad. Could it be turbo surge. Maybe like an axle wrap problem. The suspension is stock other than a leveling kit, and it is a sport with the off-road package if it matters.:shrug:

01 cummins quad cab sport,Edge Juice with Attitude with Hot, 100hp injectors, 5'' exhaust turbo back, K&N intake, Fass 150, 5 speed with Luk performance gold clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 12:03 AM

Does it do it, without the trailer behind it or only, when towing? my first inclination would be a drive shaft out of balance or something like that. Harmonic frequency caused by some rotating part being out of balance and easily cause something like that. Did you have the flywheel resurfaced when you did the clutch? It could really be a lot of things. Can you feel it through the shifter at all?
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Yes I did have the flywheel done, and the shifter does actually bounces pretty much in tune with the shudder. I dont think it does it without the trailer,but I will try it tomorrow. I think its the clutch again but I would think it would have held up longer than a couple of months. I dont use the truck that hard. Just thought it maybe something else. It kinda fells like wheel hop,but I dont think wheel hop happens a 65mph

01 cummins quad cab sport,Edge Juice with Attitude with Hot, 100hp injectors, 5'' exhaust turbo back, K&N intake, Fass 150, 5 speed with Luk performance gold clutch
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 07:33 PM

I would've thought that the clutch would hold up longer as well, but that is a bit of power through it. Have you fixed the problem with the 5th gear nut? I don't really know what the symptoms of that happening are, just that the results are bad. So if you haven't done that, look into it when you're doing the clutch.
Sean

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Ya I fixed the 5 gear nut problem and that is when I did the clutch. It did this before all that happened though. It almost feels like a wheel out of balance but it only does it in the upper gears and when its got a load on it. Some times it does'nt do it at all. Its like if your driving keep your foot on the gas and with you left foot tap the brake real fast. The clutch is under warranty for a year I'm going to call the place that installed it. He's a good freind of mine and see what he says.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 06:15 AM

The next things that come to mind are the APPS, and possible your rear ABS sensor or tone ring. More likely the apps. When it shudders, do the RPM jump around at all?
Sean

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Ok this is going to sound stupid but what is the apps. I dont think the rpms jumparound the tach doesnt seem real responsive to me though. I dont think it acts fast enough to display the changes, but I will pay more attention to it from now on. I would like to thank you for your time on this too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode