Clutch Trouble - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by bdizzel, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 622 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Question Clutch Trouble

My brother-in-law has an 01 ram 2500 with 24valve cummins. not that much done to it, but for some odd reason(can't really figure out how) he blew up both discs on a double disk south bend clutch. it is a 6-speed. he had the clutch taken out an went to a single disk rated for around 475hp. the clutch seems like it's ok. it's only been in there for a day, and i have lots of diesel driving experience. my question is that it doesn't engage the clutch until it's about 3or 4 inches off the floor. i have had many diesel manual trucks, but never a 6-speed cummins. is this common for these clutches or did the machanic install it wrong or not adjust it right? any help would be appreciated. thanks.:smoke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 06:24 PM

i still have the stock clutch at 69000. i got the truck at 55000. the clutch has always grabbed at the very top of the pedal travel. i have recently did some mods to it and now it is slipping i will need a new one soon.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 02:48 AM

Its not uncommon for the clutch to release close to the top. esp. with hyd. clutches. As far as adjustment, there isn't any on hydraulic clutches. Generally on newer vehicles the only thing you can adjust is toe play on the pedal if ur lucky. Did you put another south bend clutch in it? I was jus wondering because I only put 2 of there clutch kits in, and have problems with both of them. I wish I knew of the name of the cluch comp. someone recomm. on here to me months ago. Because thats who I want to try next !

1997 Ford F 250 SC,P.S.4x4, auto, D-P Tuner Chip, Stage 2 R.D. Injectors, Banks Turbo Housing, K&N Intake, Trans Go Tugger, 4" exhaust. 4" Tough Country Lift with 35" BFG's M/T KM2's
99 F-550 4x4 Flatbed, Straight Exhaust, Edge Evo,
99 F-550 7.3, 4X4 Dump, 5" Stack, Edge Evo, Trans Go Tugger
1973 F-250 Ranger XLT, Restored, 4x4, 460, 400 hp,Gear Drive, 4 speed, lifted, Weld wheels, L&L Headers,
1979 F-350, 4x4, dually Dump, lifted, L&L Headers, 460, 365 HP, auto,
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 04:42 AM
Bouncer

First off, can you define blew up both disc?

Did you contact SBC and talk with them about what happend? Why did he go from a dual disc to a single disc? Did the same mechanic put both clutches in? Was the clutch new or used?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

he did not go with another south bend clutch this time.first off let me just explain what happened. he bought the trck used with 163000 miles on it. there was a hole in the bed meaning he had a stack on it at some poit before he bought it. he had the truck a couple of months and it had a south bend dual disk clutch in it. i don't know how many miles the clutch had on it, but it blew. it was fine and then just wouldn't move. when taken apart, we found that one ofthe disks had shattered and cracked the splines. only one disk was bad, the other checked out fine. we found someone that had the same clutch, but had blown the opposite side's disk. so we bought the good one from him for 60 bucks. we replaced that one and the truck was fine. about a month and a half later, his transfer case went, stripped some pieces and got one of the gears or something like that. 800 bucks later, we had that back and good. not even 3 weeks after tat, the clutch blew again. this time, same shattering of one disk around the splines. the other one however, was demolished. it actually pulled the friction material from around the rest of the hub part where the splines are. i'll try to get some pics of the backclutches tonight and put them on here. we did not go with a south bend this time, but one rated for the same hp. went to a single disk because there really isnt enough hp for two disks, but other friends have the big singles and have had no problems.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 07:15 PM
Bouncer

Without sounding rude, I kinda figured there was more to the story. I think blaming the clutch is taking the easy route out. Like you said obviously the truck had been modified, probably rather heavily. The clutch was probably well used and more than likely even sled pulled on. It was probably ready to be rebuilt when you found the first problem. However you can not just throw another disc in and expect it to last. A clutch comes as a complete unit and it wears together. You can not replace just one componet of the unit and expect it to work properly or last any length of time. That is why people take them out and send them back to be rebuilt.

You can take the best clutch in the world be it SBC, ValAir, John Doe, etc and if it is abused or wore out it simply will not work properly and things are going to break.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 09:01 PM
99 cummins

i agree with bouncer, that is like changing sprockets and a chain on a motorcycle. That kind of thing is designed to wear together and work together evenly.

my clutch slipped the other day in 5th gear on the highway, so i turned the edge down to level 4 and continued on my way. looks like ill be shopping for a new clutch soon.

my clutch has about 80,000 miles on it and the pedal lets out about half way up or just before. im sure that has alot to do with the pressure plate too though. I was getting ready to do the clutch soon anyway to prepare for more power from injectors. So now i have an excuse to buy one now that i need it

99 cummins, 5-speed, edge comp, speedhut guages, fass 150 system, s&b cold air intake, ces two piece manifold, 5 inch straight exhaust with a 6 inch tip, 5 inch superlift, 4:10 gears, dynatrack lock in lock outs, 35x14.50 thornbirds on 16.5x12 mickey tompson classic 2's, alpine head unit, 1600 watt amp, 2 12 inch subs
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 11:23 PM

ahh Valair, thats the name I was looking for. Thanks bouncer.

1997 Ford F 250 SC,P.S.4x4, auto, D-P Tuner Chip, Stage 2 R.D. Injectors, Banks Turbo Housing, K&N Intake, Trans Go Tugger, 4" exhaust. 4" Tough Country Lift with 35" BFG's M/T KM2's
99 F-550 4x4 Flatbed, Straight Exhaust, Edge Evo,
99 F-550 7.3, 4X4 Dump, 5" Stack, Edge Evo, Trans Go Tugger
1973 F-250 Ranger XLT, Restored, 4x4, 460, 400 hp,Gear Drive, 4 speed, lifted, Weld wheels, L&L Headers,
1979 F-350, 4x4, dually Dump, lifted, L&L Headers, 460, 365 HP, auto,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode