Is this a PCM or VP44 problem? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by triker888, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 1336 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

Is this a PCM or VP44 problem?

Tried posting in the Emergency forum, but no one responded

Is this a PCM problem?

2001, 24v, VP44 IP, FASS Lp
Truck will not crank unless giving it a shot of ether in the breather box. The heaters do not come on, so no danger of explosion. There is no signal getting to the switches for the heaters. After the motor cranks with the ether, it runs great, drive it for a while, shut it off and it won't crank, again. I can jump the heaters to get the them hot and it still won't crank. Getting codes 0216 & 0252(?). Injector pressure is great when running. Lift pump pressure is 14/15 psi. Nothing is leaking or sucking air.
Been told that the PCM is bad, but I get the feeling that the "computer" on the VP44 is the culprit. It has had several episodes of low fuel pressure due to clogged in-tank fuel filters.
Any insight will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 04:25 AM

here is what your codes mean: P0216 Injection Timing Control Circuit Malfunction ,P0252 Injection Pump Fuel Metering Control "A" Range/Performance (Cam/Rotor/Injector) .

i pretty sure that those codes are the death codes for the vp pumps. if i was you i would call blue chip diesel 888-ISB-PERF (472-7373) an ask them they are on the up an up when it comes to vps. if it your pump check around pricing and i would go an get the hot rod pump. sorry cant help you on the grid heaters.

now own 2007 5.9 6 speed afe stage 2, ppe programmer, 5inch silverline turbo back

traded it in 01 dodge, dual disc, drag comp, head o ringed and studed, stock turbo
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 04:30 AM

this should also help you with question http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/vp44diagnostichelp.html

now own 2007 5.9 6 speed afe stage 2, ppe programmer, 5inch silverline turbo back

traded it in 01 dodge, dual disc, drag comp, head o ringed and studed, stock turbo
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 04:54 AM

It won't crank or won't fire? Sounds more like you mean it won't fire. Next time this is happening, try unplugging the FASS from the lift pump circuit and see if this makes a difference. Also, those codes are usually trouble, but it depends, and generally when the VP is subjected to low fuel pressure you don't get computer issues, but you do get internal metering diaphragm and timing advance issues. So thats what I'm guessing your problems is.

So just for grins try unplugging the fass and see if it will fire after doing that.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Sorry about the Crank vs Fire thing. Yes, I meant fire. The motor does turn over. Now that I think about it, this was a gradual thing. It started with hard starts, then having to hold the throttle wide open to get cranked and then, nothing, unless the ether is used. Haven't figured out why the air intake heater coil switches aren't getting a signal. I'm going to check the IAT sensor today and will try the FASS disconnect and resetting the APPS.
Are there any other checks I can perform to narrow down the cause?
BTW, the relay, fusable links and the fuse are functioning for the intake heaters. There is just no voltage in the two little wires that activate the switches.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

I do know that the signal for the intake heater switches comes from the PCM, at least, according to the wiring diagrams. I just don't know if something else is supposed to tell the PCM to activate the switches.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Am taking the truck to a reputable Dodge dealer about 40 miles from here to have them "scan" and/or "flash" the system. They charge $88. That will be less expensive than "chasing" and replacing parts that don't need replaced.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 12:04 AM
2nd Gen Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mopar1973Man
P0216 - Is the death code for the VP44...

Basically you lost the ability of controlling advancement of timing.

Michael Nelson - 2002 Dodge Cummins & 1996 Dodge Ram 5.9L Gasser
116K Miles On My VP44 - 4 Years of 2 Cycle Oil Diet! - Mixed at 128:1 Ratio - 25.3 MPG maxed out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode