Intermediate transmission? (Lengthy) - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by StrokeThis, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 407 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Formerly CursedtoFirst45

Intermediate transmission? (Lengthy)

Ok so i sold my powerstroke, and i now own a 2000 dodge with the cummins and auto transmission. It was my brothers and he just put 2400 in the transmission(he toasted it). So now the truck has a full rebuild with heavy duty towing clutches, and supposedly a double disk torque converter(But it only cost $375 from his transmission guy). So since i used to drive a 5 speed with a chip, i didnt worry about turning the chip on to 140 once in a while, but now that ive seen my brother ruin a transmission in each of his cummins, im paranoid and deathly afraid of auto transmissions.
The current truck is a 2000 dodge 2500 cummins 24 valve auto trans
s&b cold air intake, full gauges(egt, boost, trans temp), stock downpipe to 4 inch stainless to 5 in. aussie stacks,
quadzilla xzillaraider XZT chip with recon pod control, 2wd.

With those upgrades, my question is:
1) Is there an intermediate full built transmission that will enable me to use the extreme tune a few times a month to race a douche ricer for an 1/8 mile?
2) Or what do i need to do to my transmission to have peace of mind that i wont ruin it by using the chip once in a while.

I realize that the best bet would be to go full built ats or suncoast all out right now, but since im only 17 working part time and finishing high school before college in the fall, theres no money for that. So since im not pushing serious horsepower, what do i need to do to my trans to beef it up enough to handle an extra 100hp to the wheels without ruining my trans(or whatever the quadzilla 160 tune actually produces)?

Also, is there any harm in running the tow tune, or economy tune on my rebuilt trans with heavy duty clutches, and double disk converter.
Sorry for the length...
(concerned broke high school diesel fanatic)
eric

Eric

1994 Dodge Ram 2500

Quote:
You can take our information, you can try to shut us down, but we're still here, and we're going to be better than ever!!
-John DeereGreen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 06:45 AM

Um, do you trust the rebuilder? I would throw in a better converter. I wouldn't trust a $375 converter behind a stock cummins engine personally. I would also get a valve body in there as well. Also how long ago was it rebuilt. If it is a pretty fresh rebuild and you put in a converter and valvebody, and get your line pressures up a bit, it should hold a chip no problems. If you're going to be doing any kind of boosted launches you really want billet shafts.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 07:33 AM

Garage
:iagree any good converter is around a grand plus. you can get better line pressure just by turning it up about half a turn. thats what was done to mine with the new converter and it works great.. I would also say bypass the heat exchanger and make sure your trans cooler is flushed out and working well. if not upgrade it and get a bigger pan and a good set of guages to watch it all. been fighting this with mine for almost a year.

01 quad cab 4x4, edge drag comp, 4" exhaust, fass 150, 250 ddps, Jefferson State compounds 683hp so vp 11.91. AMSOIL front to rear. now back to stock 95 fummins in the works
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Formerly CursedtoFirst45
Threadstarter

well, ive never met the rebuilder but he does all my brother's tranny work. I dont trust the converter either so i havent used to chip since i got the truck. The rebuild is only a few weeks old, so im just gonna not use the chip until i can afford a valve body and converter. Thanks alot guys. This was originally what i wanted to do but i didnt know if i needed something else.

p.s.
im very happy with that cummins growl...makes my psd sound like an import

Eric

1994 Dodge Ram 2500

Quote:
You can take our information, you can try to shut us down, but we're still here, and we're going to be better than ever!!
-John DeereGreen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode