Vp44 Rebuild Manual - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by BUTTS24vCTD, this thread has received 10 replies and been viewed 18373 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Question Vp44 Rebuild Manual

A buddy of mine thinks he can rebuild a VP for around $100. All he needs is instructions. Does anyone know where I can get a rebuild manual.

2008 6.7 [B]CUMMINS[/B3500 4x4 4 door 6 speed ]S&B Cold air intake, TS Performance MP-8 5'' MBRP Tip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 03:11 PM
2nd Gen Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mopar1973Man
Not possible...

Michael Nelson - 2002 Dodge Cummins & 1996 Dodge Ram 5.9L Gasser
116K Miles On My VP44 - 4 Years of 2 Cycle Oil Diet! - Mixed at 128:1 Ratio - 25.3 MPG maxed out!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 01:51 PM

Here is a post from a guy that did it

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...g-t111329.html

WHOO HOO! Anybody want to drive my "New" truck!!!!

Happy to report that the pump is back together and running like a sewing machine. Much more power and no Dead Pedal! I have only about 10 miles on it so I will keep you advised if anything changes.

See my note above in post #11 that outlines the major problem. I think that is the lack of power and fuel economy issue. It may also be the dead pedal issue as well.

Now, I would not say it went totally without a hitch and the problems were self inflicted. If you are going to do it yur self, I will recommed a few things:
1, do not disturb the bronze ring on the main shaft. It is the reluctor for the timing pickup and controls the timing of the pump. I removed it and had to time it by trial and error.
2, Pay attention to the orientation of the parts as it is possible to get it 180 deg out of sync which I did the first time. There are no marks for alignment of the parts, so mark them upon disassembly to ensure proper re-assembly.
Hardest part of working on it are those darn tamper resistant torx screws and the fact that there are no manuals that I could find.

Parts: Bosch gasket kit (all orings) part# DGK138 from USDiesel in Ft. Worth TX (817) 485-6422 Mr. Brad Glenn. $37.88

If you have above average mechanical aptitude and a want to save $1500, then you can try this yourself. If i get time, I may put together a proceedure or you can e-mail me direct for my opinion and assistance. [email protected]

This may not fix a really screwed up pump, but it fixed mine. By the way, this was the original pump in my 2001 3500 with 195,000 miles and it was not worn out.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Let it rip tator chip!

the day i graduated high school
I wouldnt recommend it, just because when you go with reman. parts or a reman pump.Their just recondition parts like the cam,delivery valves and etc. The only parts that are new is the electrical. My 2 cents is, if his pump went bad i would go with a bigger pump. Reason 1 is, if he messed up rebuilding it and the truck dont run right, your spendin the extra time and money to take it out and try to diagnose the problem Reason 2 Everyone ive talked to that has a reman. pump or rebuild kit. Their not happy with it. Reason 3 i wouldnt think theres a warrenty with the kit

97' Cummins 2500 Gauges from glowshift (EGT, boost) Fuel pressure gauge from auto-meter. Stage 2 airbox, boost elbow, barrels & plungers turned.Custom fuel plate,Airdog 150gph.AFC mods & 3K GSK.SDX injectors (stage 3 140hp).Drilled wastegate.Converted to a NV4500 with a double disc. Being restored from the ground up

01' Cummins 2500 (dads) with a Hotrod pump,100hp injectors, Fass 150, Edge juice with attitude,also plug and power chip,stage 2 ice box,4 1/2 exgaust pipe,HX40

Riding Dirty #60
B.O.M.B Squad #79
Singles Club #260
Special thanks too

http://www.southerndieselx.com/
xtremediesel.com
dieselperformance.com
cptrucks.com
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 07:20 PM
GotRamCumm'

VP-44 Electronics Repair

Help. Trying to do FastFreddie's VP-44 circuit board repair. Struggled with one screw on ribbon cable connector. That bugger was tight. Long story short after 2 hours of finessing the screw the torx driver wrung off in the screw. Two more hours trying to get the piece of the driver out of the screw. Not much chance now but to drill the head off of the screw. Does anyone know the size/thread count of the ribbon cable connector attaching screws. I'm down as this is my only vehicle and I'm a $45 (one way) to the nearest store with fasteners. Any help would be appreciated.
Thx

2001 Dodge RAM 2500 CTD 5.9 24v, FASS, DrawStraw + CTD 8.3 in 40' CountryCoach RV
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 07:57 PM
GotRamCumm'

VP44 Electronics Rework Source

Found a source for the VP44 Electronics Pack??
I have found a source in Poland that will rebuild the Electronics for $158 Euros. Problem is I don't have the time as this is my only vehicle. The link to the electronics rebuilder is: http://www.vp44diesel.de/en/price-list . Appears they do a huge worldwide business rebuilding diesel pumps and drive computers for all types of oem vehicles.

2001 Dodge RAM 2500 CTD 5.9 24v, FASS, DrawStraw + CTD 8.3 in 40' CountryCoach RV
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 05:09 AM

There is a reason shops pay 400 K for test benches to work on VP44's only.
Good luck
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 05:58 PM
GotRamCumm'

Quote:
Originally Posted by later View Post
There is a reason shops pay 400 K for test benches to work on VP44's only.
Good luck
Thank you for your input and I understand your point. I've heard mixed opinions on the setup of the electronics and the greatest need for the test stand is the timing issues that are primarily mechanical. The electronic timing could easily be addressed by having the stats and a good laptop with the appropriate programming. I worked for Bosch in the 90's and was a good friend that designed the current model test stand and the computer end of it was very basic.

At the same time, being in business myself I would be willing to bet the primary reason that shops buy the test stand is profit. That is not to say that the test stand is not required but for the electronics the requirement is a little vague.

While my truck is down I have ordered a VP44 but now I'm just playing with this electronics project.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 11:02 PM
GotRamCumm'

Well, looks like I'm going to give up on trying to save this old VP44 core I have available. I had hoped to fix it up and put it in my Ram but it is just too much effort. I had hoped to re-solder a few crystallized an probably resulted in a bad connection. That's why the guy gave it to me. So I'll put it aside and maybe work on it when a few slow days come along.

In the meantime I'll pull the one off of my truck and exchange it for a reman so I can get back on the road. The whole thing of rebuilding the spare I had was probably just a bad dream.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 04:25 AM

Once in a while someone will burn up the electronics, this was more common with FedEx and UPS trucks, if they catch the problem early, then a brain will fix the issues. But that does not happen very often.

Good luck, you might be able to do it.

If I was going to try just taking it apart and replacing the worn parts I would get the Chinese parts so if it does not work, you just have a third the money in it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode