Need help! 5 speed trans problems - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by cummins2jz, this thread has received 6 replies and been viewed 2576 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2008, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Need help! 5 speed trans problems

I have a 98.5 and my nv4500 has 2 problems. First off when I am going down a hill in 5th gear it will pop out gear. It only does this in 5th and only when going down hill idling. Then now it started grinding when I try to put it in 4th gear. I can only get it to go in if I let the rpms go back down to idle for a bit, then I can gently get into 4th without grinding. I can get it into all other gears perfectly without grinding.

I talked to a few transmission guys and 1 person said it could be the 4th gear syncro and 5th gear spring. All the other people said its the main shaft out of whack and started with the 5th gear popping out.

I don't tow heavy all I do is tow a single car trailer with 1 car. I don't have any modifications done to the truck its completely stock. I bought the transmission from Standard Transmission in TX last April and it did the 5th gear pop out thing immediately. I called them up right away and they told me not to worry about it and that it should be ok. So I just kept driving and now its grinding when I try to get it into 4th. As of right now I have around 8k miles on it and they don't want to make good on their warranty of 1 year 12k miles. I paid by CC so I'm wondering if I have any recourse. My friend also ordered a transmission and the gear cluster blew up in 10 months. I just don't get it I read on various forums that Standard Transmission was a good place but we've had several transmissions crap out on us all within a short period of time. These are just work trucks not used for hauling more than 8k lbs and they are stock.

But I'm really wondering what the problem could be so any transmission gurus please tell me what you think. Is there another place that is good to buy transmissions from? A local place quoted me 2k to fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 05:02 AM

I would RAISE hell with Standard transmission. Popping out of 5th gear is NOT normal by any means!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 09:47 PM

fifth gear nut could have worked lose a little. as far as grinding the prolly used cheap syncro. tell to send u a new one. i would call and witch like crazy. u could have a tranny that was made on a monday or friday if u know what i mean.

now own 2007 5.9 6 speed afe stage 2, ppe programmer, 5inch silverline turbo back

traded it in 01 dodge, dual disc, drag comp, head o ringed and studed, stock turbo
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 12:00 AM

Yeah, that really shouldn't be happening. and thats really lame on their part if they won't make good on their warranty. If they don't honor it, and you need another trans. Look up Dan he is on here as "SoGrand" he has a couple of transmission shops and does good work at a good price. He isn't local to you, but could ship you a remaned one for a pretty fair price I would imagine. I got a new trans for my ford from him last summer and have been really pleased with it.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 03:55 PM
99 cummins

yeah, if standard transmission does not want to make it right, tell them your lawyer will be getting ahold of them, that should get their attention. Especially since it popped out of 5th as soon as you put it in!

Until its fixed, when you downshift to 4th, try floating it down, in other words, dont use the clutch, pull out of 5th, rev the engine up to the rpms it will be at after you downshift, and it should slip right in. this method it used with non syncronized trannies in heavy trucks. and in my 78 chevy (because my clutch is too hard to push in with the crazy pressure plate i have)

Another idea is double clutching into 4th. But hopefully you can just get s.t. to replace or rebuild your tranny, good luck.

99 cummins, 5-speed, edge comp, speedhut guages, fass 150 system, s&b cold air intake, ces two piece manifold, 5 inch straight exhaust with a 6 inch tip, 5 inch superlift, 4:10 gears, dynatrack lock in lock outs, 35x14.50 thornbirds on 16.5x12 mickey tompson classic 2's, alpine head unit, 1600 watt amp, 2 12 inch subs
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 04:53 AM

Garage
could be this shifter wasnt shimmed right , for the popping out of gear and synchros would cause the rough shifting . Riding around with your hand on the shifter while driving is a no no . That little bit of pressure is enough to cause synchros to wear out prematurely . Keep in mind these NV 4500 tranny's were built with design flaws . The Jam nut that keeps all of the gears , cluthes , synchros and bearings on the main shaft is threaded to where the velocity of it turning loosens it . And DO NOT PULL LOADS UPHILL IN OD I have seen these things get so hot the teeth were wiped off of the gear !!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 03:42 PM
TDG Mafia #76

Send a message via AIM to John_DeereGreen Send a message via Yahoo to John_DeereGreen
Go raise a little more hell with them, and if that doesn't work, tell them that your lawyer will be contacting them in your behalf. That should make them a little easier to work with. Good luck!!!

Jarrett
04.5 qcsb commonrail
Smarty TnT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode