odd noise - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by edged dodge, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 745 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2008, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

odd noise

I have avery loud popping noise comming out my exhaulst when at idel in gear but when its in nuteral it doesnt do it and when im driving down the road it wont do it till i slow down then you hear it again. need help fast, please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2008, 05:01 PM
2nd Gen Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mopar1973Man
I would check the easy stuff first... Like valve lash and valve trian components for damage...

Michael Nelson - 2002 Dodge Cummins & 1996 Dodge Ram 5.9L Gasser
116K Miles On My VP44 - 4 Years of 2 Cycle Oil Diet! - Mixed at 128:1 Ratio - 25.3 MPG maxed out!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 09:37 PM

check to see how much play u have in the turbo. make sure that it is not touching the sides. my stocker would do it when i would shut my truck off. it sound like ting ting ting.... good luck

now own 2007 5.9 6 speed afe stage 2, ppe programmer, 5inch silverline turbo back

traded it in 01 dodge, dual disc, drag comp, head o ringed and studed, stock turbo
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 12:07 AM

What year is the truck? Check it for codes too. If you were having turbo or valve train problems, I would suspect it would increase with load and RPM. I'm not saying that those definitely aren't your problem, but I would also look at the fuel system. My guess is you're having some kind of timing issue at lower RPM. These injection pumps often can't reach full advance on timing because the fuel solenoid gets worn out from being subjected to low fuel pressure. Since the VP44 has dynamic timing and changes based on load and RPM I could see this being the problem. At idle with the load of being in gear on it (assuming its an auto), if it isn't reaching full advance it will inject too early and run rough for funny. Then once RPM is increased or load is removed, the timing advances further, and you are now back up to a tolerable range of timing. It probably isn't exactly where it should be but its enough to run alright without the weird noises. That is just a guess though.

If you could fill in your sig with some info about your truck that would really help us help you. Drive train and modification information is really helpful.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

well its a 2001 cummins with a suncoast tranny 90 hp bd nozzles, vp 44 hot rod pump, edge comp drag box, 5" stack, fuel pump its a big one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode