Issues, first times a charm... - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by CumminsTorq, this thread has received 18 replies and been viewed 1082 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
I now drive a Duramax...

Thumbs down Issues, first times a charm...

2001 CTD Automatic there is the breakdown.

Died pulling up to a stopsign. Couldn't restart it on the first try called a buddy for a ride, got off the phone and tried again. Started fine but once I pulled away from the stopsign it started sputtering real bad kind of like when it is real cold(0 or below) and it idles rough. Put it in neutral to get the rev's up enough to smooth it out and then put it back into drive. Started running fine went through another stopsign but pulling up to another stop it started dying again. So I put it back into neutral to keep the rev's up enough for it not to die. Got it far enough to get it into a parking lot. Pulled into a parking spot to empty the fuel/water seperator thinking there was water in the fuel and drained it. Was walking back to the door and it died again. Tried to restart it with no luck. Any ideas on what could be causing this? I have my ideas but I don't want to say and look like an idiot. Starts with an injection and ends with a pump. It's under warranty so anything you think is good to go. Thanks for looking.

Tyler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 07:41 AM

Garage
sounds like a lift pump issue mine had a bad ground wire when it was my dads and would be off and on with the issue.

01 quad cab 4x4, edge drag comp, 4" exhaust, fass 150, 250 ddps, Jefferson State compounds 683hp so vp 11.91. AMSOIL front to rear. now back to stock 95 fummins in the works
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
I now drive a Duramax...
Threadstarter

Anybody else?
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 09:28 PM

check and see if u are popping any codes. turn your switch on and off three times and look at the odometer codes should pop up if you have any. rig a gauge to check your fuel pressure at the pump. dodge says "anything below 10psi at idle lift pump needs replaced" if it does need to replaced spend the money and get a fass. it will be and overkill but never have to worry about fuel pressure again plus 6 year warranty :

when the last time u changed your fuel filter? as crappy as our fuel is today u should change it every 5000 or 10000 miles. filters are cheaper then pumps and injectors.

now own 2007 5.9 6 speed afe stage 2, ppe programmer, 5inch silverline turbo back

traded it in 01 dodge, dual disc, drag comp, head o ringed and studed, stock turbo
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
I now drive a Duramax...
Threadstarter

It is under warranty through Wynn's so I doubt they will pay for a fass. And I haven't replaced the fuel filter since I've gotten it, 15,000 miles ago so maybe this is my fault...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
I now drive a Duramax...
Threadstarter

How much are the FASS pumps? I've been trying to find a price but the websites for the dealers near me don't even list their pumps for sale.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 02:47 AM
2nd Gen Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mopar1973Man
Here you go...

Lift pump diagnostics....
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002%2...ift%20pump.htm

And checking for codes...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002%2...rror_codes.htm

This should shed some light for you...

Michael Nelson - 2002 Dodge Cummins & 1996 Dodge Ram 5.9L Gasser
116K Miles On My VP44 - 4 Years of 2 Cycle Oil Diet! - Mixed at 128:1 Ratio - 25.3 MPG maxed out!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 11:40 PM

I doubt it being your lift pump. Your lift pump COULD be dead, but if it was, it wouldn't cause the truck not to run.

The only thing a lift pump will do is kill your injector pump. My vote is for the VP44 injector pump.

Try this: Go out and get in your truck. Bump the starter, but do NOT let the engine fire. Just bump it maybe twice. Ok, now pop the hood real fast and get out. Hold your ear sorta by the fuel filter and listen. Do you hear anything?

There is a small pump down there mounted to the side of the block. That would be your lift pump. When you bump the key, the pump will run to prime the fuel system. IF the pump is good, it's usually loud and can be heard easily. If it's bad, you'll BARELY hear it, or not at all.

You'll likely need a new one, or better yet, a FASS and a new VP44 pump.

I reccomend getting some gauges too. ATLEAST a fuel pressure and Pyrometer gauge. Boost isn't really needed until you get to pushing major HP, but since a boost gauge is relatively cheap, you might as well get one of those too.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
I now drive a Duramax...
Threadstarter

The shop checked both lift and injection and they said both were bad. Wynn's doesn't like the $2400 bill so they are sending out an adjuster, which should be here today. Hopefully I get my truck back sometime soon. I'm tired of driving my wifes Volvo.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
I now drive a Duramax...
Threadstarter

Anybody that has a FASS, how much did you pay for the unit?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode