Blown lift pump - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by blizzardplower, this thread has received 3 replies and been viewed 548 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

Blown lift pump

Hey guys this im venturing into shark infested waters for my buddy on this one since ive got a powerchoke and hes got a cummins but hes a putts sometimes and im looking out for his dad on this one. this past weekend he blew the lift pump for sure and hopes thats it and not the injector with it :. what would you guys recomend he does:

1. replace it with a stock one and forget it
2. replace it with a stock one and also add a secondary pump like fass or some other type of pusher pump.
or
3. just bypass the whole system with an aftermarket one.

he has a tst box, i believe 100-125hp injectors and the dodgezilla turbo (think the exhaust housing is just bigger on that) along with the usual stuff like exhaust and intake. he doesnt really beat on it or hot dog it around town. like i said im looking out for his old man on this one since hes the one that actually uses the truck for what it should be used for. they put a slide in camper in there and i dont want to see him blow it and or the injector pump going on a roadtrip or vaca. and get stuck in the middle of nowares land. o and by the way its a 2002 5.9 h.o. we know others with dodges but doesnt want to listen to what they say he rather listen to a duracrap fan (dont get that one i thought those ran on rice) thanks for the help guys and dont hold it against me that i have a powerstroke i wish my truck had a cummins (maybe project for the future:evil: ) it was by default i got the psd. stupid ford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 03:00 PM

No hard feelings about the powerstroke, Hopefully its a 7.3L. Check my sig. I have one of each.

Anyways, if he is running a box like the TST I would highly recommend a couple of things. I would say, ditch the stock lift pump and completely bypass it. There are several things you can do depending on your budget. You can leave the stock LP and filter housing in place, and just splice into the fuel line with a Holley blue or black pump and that should hold you over for a while and be a relatively cheap fix. Or you can jump up to a full fuel system like a FASS, Airdog, GDP kit or something of that nature and completely bypass the stock system. These kits all allow for better filtration as well.

As for the VP going out, as long as he hasn't been driving it with low or zero pressure he should be okay. I would recommend a fuel pressure gauge or light immediately.
Sean

2000 2500 reg. cab 4x4 auto 577hp
09 6.7L QC LB stick, 4x4.

TOTAL PERFORMANCE DIESEL 707-545-FUEL (3835)
www.totalperformancediesel.com
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

thanks for the help i will let him know about what you said. he probably will take the cheap way out unfortunately why i dont know. one of my buddies bypassed his lift pump with a fass sytem and hasn't had any problems with is truck and he has some work done to his truck like 250 injectors, tst box stacked with i believe edge, large turbo and a higher output vp pump.:bow:

as for the driving it with no or little pressure he drove it for probably 50-75 miles but hasnt used it since he found out there was little pressure.

and its the 6 uhoh in my truck. knock on wood runs like a champ and can keep up with my buddies dodge until ubout 75-80 and then he just walks away. both trucks are 6spds if he had an auto it would blow my doors off
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 02:59 PM
2nd Gen Guru

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mopar1973Man
I'm going to toss some down here...

I've got a 2002 that is producing 381/826 for power... I've been using the Carter Campaign pump form cummins (4090046) now for awhile. Now as for a newer pump a company AirTex is producing a new stock fuel pump without the failures and can be had for much less. Something to look into...:Thumbup:

As for me the stock flow pump has always been above 10 PSI at WOT. Even now with the pump getting weak I still don't cross the 10 PSI mark yet but I do hit now...

Michael Nelson - 2002 Dodge Cummins & 1996 Dodge Ram 5.9L Gasser
116K Miles On My VP44 - 4 Years of 2 Cycle Oil Diet! - Mixed at 128:1 Ratio - 25.3 MPG maxed out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode