Full Feramic clutch - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by Grannygear, this thread has received 4 replies and been viewed 709 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Full Feramic clutch

can anyone give me feedback on full feramic vs organic/feramic clutches? southbend calls them an FE or OFE (just for referance). i have heard that full feramic can be tricky cause you can't slip it at all like for backing up a trailer or in a traffic jam. is it that bad or is it tolerable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 03:38 AM

i have drove a ofe in a buddys truck. the ofe is pretty much identical to your stocker as far as driving manors. the fe is bit grabby. backing up is little bit of pain but just put it 4x4 low so that you are not ridding the clutch. you can get a 2 low switch witch blocks signal to front axle when you're in 4x4 low($70 i think)

i have sled pulled a fe twice dont recommend doing that. that's just asking to buy another clutch.

after a couple of days you wont pay any attention to it. i thought that the pedal pressure was less then stock

now own 2007 5.9 6 speed afe stage 2, ppe programmer, 5inch silverline turbo back

traded it in 01 dodge, dual disc, drag comp, head o ringed and studed, stock turbo
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

why dont you recommend pulling with an fe, (or did u mean to write ofe)this would mean its really not a good idea with an ofe either, cause isn't the fe better clutch than the ofe? i would like to pull my truck one time a year. i did already last year but everything was stock then, i don't think the clutch slipped at least not that i know. the truck did great. i estimate i have 380 hp at the engine. the ofe is good for 450 and the fe is for 550 i would like to get to 450 hp in the future so the ofe does not give me much breathing room.

i am very interested to learn more about this front axle switch. any more info would be great.

thanks
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 05:52 AM

single disk clutches are not designed to be used in sled pulling period. Will they work, yes but you have to use your head and know that you need to be easy on it. Makes sure its way overrated, and DO NOT slip it off the line. Sled pulling with a single disk will void the warranty also

Southbend under rates there clutch hp ratings. I've heard of a few trucks that dynoed close to 550hp on OFEs. ValAir rates theres a little closer to what they will actually hold (usually 50hp more then a comparable SBC)

As for the front axle thing, Posi-Lock makes a pull cable kit, BD, and Pac Brake both make switch kits. They block the vaccum to the axle.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 01:17 AM

if you are wanting to sled pull buy a dual disc and be done. once you a couple of times it gets in blood then in your bank account. i had 3850 ceramic in mine and daily drove it. had about 15-18 hooks on and i was making about 425 at the wheels. i seen guys hooks with ofe about 6/7 times before it was time to replace it and he was making about 450.

best advice is to southbend tell them what u done to truck and about what you hp is and tell what you want to do. BUY A PULLING CLUTCH AND BE DONE then you dont have to worry about slipping or anything else.

now own 2007 5.9 6 speed afe stage 2, ppe programmer, 5inch silverline turbo back

traded it in 01 dodge, dual disc, drag comp, head o ringed and studed, stock turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode