trans replacement - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by iwannagofast, this thread has received 19 replies and been viewed 888 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

trans replacement

Just have a few questions, my new trans from hts got here yesterday and I'm going to put it in Sat. A friend of mine is a mechanic and he looked it up and the book calls for 8.5 hrs.

How long will it actually take?

Any advice on what to do to make it easier?

Time and headache saving tips?

What to do and what not to do.......

99 2500 dodge cummins, HTS auto trans, quadzilla/edge ez, edge stage 2 nozzles, HX40,special X pump, big line kit, custom dual filter intake, custom exhaust, holley blue, adjustable boost elbow, new intercooler boots, t/c lock up switch, suncoast t/c, leveling kit, new 285 bfg's, all the gauges. New TPS

SINGLES CLUB MEMBER #44
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 07:22 AM

Garage
the hardest part I had with mine was getting the converter on the oil pump. it's not like a chevy where you just grab the converter and spin it till it locks. This one you need to make sure you line up the tabs on the oil pump so you can place the converter on the trans and strap it there till you get it in the air. This was the part I had the most trouble with. as I did this with truck on the ground laying on my back using a tranny jack. another issue is the cross member fits really tight so I used a porta power and spread my frame rails enought to get it out. I was told just knock it back with a hammer but mine would not budge. if your pulling your stock and then putting in the new one you will be there for a while. I found it easier to take the lines off and out of the way as to not bend them and make sure not to loose any of the brackets for them.

01 quad cab 4x4, edge drag comp, 4" exhaust, fass 150, 250 ddps, Jefferson State compounds 683hp so vp 11.91. AMSOIL front to rear. now back to stock 95 fummins in the works
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Thanks!

What is the best trans fluid?

Any other concerns?

99 2500 dodge cummins, HTS auto trans, quadzilla/edge ez, edge stage 2 nozzles, HX40,special X pump, big line kit, custom dual filter intake, custom exhaust, holley blue, adjustable boost elbow, new intercooler boots, t/c lock up switch, suncoast t/c, leveling kit, new 285 bfg's, all the gauges. New TPS

SINGLES CLUB MEMBER #44
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2008, 07:09 PM

Garage
fluids are always a big debate and I was told by the guy I know that did my trans who went to a siminar on all the diff trans fluids that mopar 4 is the best stuff to use. he said when the tests were done that it performed just as well as the redline and other higher priced fluids. he said compared to most it was actually better and cheaper. But I am no expert on it all.

once you get the trans in and all the fluid in it will take a while to get the fluid to have built up enough pressure to move. also make sure to adjust the cable to the trans thats in the throttle position sensor(can't think of the name) because if thats out too much it could fry your trans quick from what I was told. thats all that I can think of right now

01 quad cab 4x4, edge drag comp, 4" exhaust, fass 150, 250 ddps, Jefferson State compounds 683hp so vp 11.91. AMSOIL front to rear. now back to stock 95 fummins in the works
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

A few more questions,

when the instructions say pour a cup of atf into the pump do they mean down the input shaft into the trans?

Also, i was sent a resistor that needs to be soldered into the 31 pin (orange wire) do I need to take off my lock up switch and put the thing back into the fuse box?

***01QUADCAB*** Do you mean under the truck on the side of the trans or on top near the vp?

Anyone else know of any do's or don'ts.

I was able to get everything out today but my "help" ended up getting drunk and wasn't much help after about 9:00 tonight so I'm going to finish up Sunday. Any suggestions would be great.

thanks, Eric

SINGLES CLUB MEMBER #44
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

01quadcab, what do the tabs look like? How will i know that they are lined up and the tc is in the way it needs to be?

SINGLES CLUB MEMBER #44
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 03:11 AM

Garage
up by the vp under the plastic cover. It's nice knowing a guy that did trans for dodge for years. Put the fluid in the converter so it's not dry when firing. I put almost a quart in mine. I don't know about the resistor. What was it supposed to do? Make sure you strap the trans to the trans jack so it doesn't fall off. I used a tie down for this. I put mine in with no help and it was a pain. It's nice to just have someone to hand you tools etc. a lift would have been nice not cold concrete to lay on. if I remember any thing more I will add it

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 06:05 PM

it shouldnt take 8 hrs but it wouldnt hurt to take long to make everyhting is just right. and yes the crossmember is the hardest part of the deal u can use a portapar or use a nice sized hammer and start from the back were the notches are and hamemer foward ur torque conv wiill go on pretty easy there is nothing special just spin in counert clockwise and clockwise to get it pushged all the way in. make sure is all the way in or you will have prob when mounting trans. just make sure ur trans is tilted back so the tourqe conv wont fall out. when installing trans. its not hthat hard u should be fine.
the resistor isnt hard to do either just make sure u get cgood connection and sodier the wires. it is for the higher pressure VB so it wont set a trans code.

Josh

01 2500 dodge 24 valve 200k miles, striaght pipe exhaust, bully dog j-hook,home made cold air intake,Full Georend tranny,billet input,billet output,lam flex plate, TQ lock-up switch, Holley Blue pump, RV275's, BD top speed elimintator w/RAD Hot Edge juice w/Attitude
:smoke
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

thanks, i couldn't get the sodier to stick so i just taped it in for now, but it hasn't thrown any codes so i think it has a pretty good connection.

the worst part was the cross member, the portapower worked great, we also used the bobcat bucket to "help" with getting the cross member to slide back in between the frame rails and when i tightened the bolts everything pulled back just like i hoped it would.

the trans is wicked, i love it, well worth the time and money!!!!! and when you lock the converter and go through the gears its like riding in a drag car.:93C_peelo

SINGLES CLUB MEMBER #44
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 07:32 PM

Garage
thats good that it's in. it takes 8 hrs to put one in if your doing this alone laying on your back with a tranny jack that doesn't like to work. it took me about 5 hrs to get mine it but I had issues finding all the parts my dad took off and then moved later

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode